1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing Terminal Velocity using Euler's Method

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    Suppose an object of 20kg is shot upward with an initial velocity of 20m/s. The drag coefficient I've chosen is 0.25, and gravity is 9.8m/s. I'm trying to calculate the terminal velocity using Euler's Method (using a C prog), and then graph the data using openoffice. I know I am converging to the correct terminal velocity, however I'm not confident in my graph of acceleration vs time.

Does this look right?

http://i36.tinypic.com/10p4jmh.png

Here is my code:
    PHP:

#include <stdio.h>
    #include <unistd.h>
    #include <math.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>

double accel(double v);
    double velocity(double v, double a, double t);

int main()
    {
    double a,v,t,time;
    v=0.0;
    t=0.01;
    a=1.0;
    time=0.0;
    printf("Velocity, Acceleration, Time,\n");

while(fabs(a)>0.00001)
        {
        a=accel(v);
        printf("%f, %f, %f,\n",v,a,time);
        v=velocity(v,a,t);
        time+=0.01;
        }

}

double accel(double v)
    {

double a,k,g,m;
    k=0.25;
    g=9.8;
    m=20.0;

if(v!=0.0){
        a=(-k*v*v*fabs(v));
        a/=m*v;
        a-=g;
        return a;
        }

return -9.8;
    }

double velocity(double v, double a, double t)
    {
    v = v + (a * t);
    return v;
    }

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi jinksys,

The shape of the curve looks fine to me; was there something in particular that bothered you about it?

4. Oct 16, 2008 #3
    Well, my professor said that my graph of velocity vs time HERE is correct. However, since my acceleration is essentially a graph of the velocity's slope, the "wiggle" around -9.8 should represent something on my velocity graph around 0m/s. He's not seeing where I get the wiggle.

So you're saying the graph looks correct? What is causing the wiggle?

5. Oct 16, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

The wiggle on the a vs. t graph occurs at arount t=2, and that corresponds to what is happening at t=2 on the v vs. t graph.

If you look at the acceleration curve, it starts out at about -14.8 or so, and then the wiggle is at -9.8m/s, and then it rapidly goes to zero.

This corresponds to the velocity curve: initially it has a slope of about -14.8; the slope changes to -9.8 around t=2 seconds and the wiggle is showing that that slope stays approximately constant arount t=2 seconds.

I think if you change your drag coefficient to about 2.5, and look at the a and v curve at around t=1 second, it is easier to see what is going on. (Notice that around t=0 the v curve is sloped, around t=1 is approximately straight, and past t=1 it curves again.)

The thing to remember is that the acceleration curve gives the slope of the velocity curve: so these wiggles (which are where the acceleration curves are not changing very much) indicates that the velocity slope is roughly a straight line at that time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?