1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminal velocity of a bicycle under a constant force

1. Nov 23, 2015 #1
    Hello!

The total force F = m*a applied to the bicycle is F = F1 - a*v^2,
    where F1 is the initial force applied to the bicycle, a is a constant and v is the velocity.
    That means that the total force applied to the bicycle decrease as velocity increases, like a wind resistance decreases acceleration. I know how to find the terminal velocity (maximum velocity that a bicycle can reach under constant initial force), I have to set the total force equal to 0 and then find v.

But how can I present velocity v as a function of time so I can see how velocity on the graph approaches terminal velocity?

Sorry if I didn't explain it well, I wrote in intuitively. I am thankful if anyone can help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Thanks for re-posting this here in the Homework Help forums instead of the ME forum. :smile: Next time, though, please fill out the HH Template you are provided when starting a schoolwork thread. It helps to organize your equations and thoughts on the question.

Now to your question. Use F=ma to give you the acceleration as a function of time a(t) = F(t)/m, and then integrate that to get the velocity v(t). Does that help?

4. Nov 23, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

it's not quite that simple. v=v(t) will be on both sides of the equation (as dv/dt on the left). So the right hand side cannot be directly integrated. Instead, treat it as a differential equation in v and t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted