Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grass Trimmer machine ( Portable)

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone, is it possible to build a grass cutter that can cut grass and vacuum it at the same time?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2013 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Maybe it was a homebuilt unit on Daily Planet.. my memory fails me, but I know for sure that I saw it somewhere.
    On the other hand, I can't figure out why anyone would want to do that, when simply bagging the cuttings is so much easier and cheaper and more convenient.

4. Apr 17, 2013 #3
    Doesn't the blades of the mower act as a fan already, so it in a way already is a vacum?

5. Apr 17, 2013 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I'd say that they're more of an impeller. They throw the cuttings against the inner surface of the mowing deck. Where that surface is removed to form a chute, the debris goes out and gets bagged (or just strewn about the yard).

6. Apr 17, 2013 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

On an industrial scale, it's better to cut the grass and let it dry a bit before you hoover it up...

Chopping_Grass_for_Silage_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1343401.jpg

But you may need a nano-scale version of this to use in your back yard :smile:

7. Apr 17, 2013 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Depends upon location. If he lives in Canada, that could be his back yard. (My signature refers to the time when I parked a Cessna 150 in my friend's yard.) :biggrin:

8. Apr 17, 2013 #7
  9. Apr 17, 2013 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Okay, that's a different scene. I thought that you meant a lawnmower, which is what we use in North America for most cutting. What you picture is a weed whacker. That's for tight areas or stuff that is too tough for a mower. Given its limited scope of use, it would be a lot easier and cheaper to just take after it with a rake. Think of all the crap involved in power take-offs and sucking and ducting and carrying bags around... :surprised

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook