Grass Trimmer machine ( Portable)

• Thread starter fnota
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, a grass cutter that can cut grass and vacuum it at the same time does not exist, but a lawnmower that can do both tasks is easier and cheaper to use.
fnota
Hi everyone, is it possible to build a grass cutter that can cut grass and vacuum it at the same time?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe it was a homebuilt unit on Daily Planet.. my memory fails me, but I know for sure that I saw it somewhere.
On the other hand, I can't figure out why anyone would want to do that, when simply bagging the cuttings is so much easier and cheaper and more convenient.

Doesn't the blades of the mower act as a fan already, so it in a way already is a vacum?

D.Hayward said:
Doesn't the blades of the mower act as a fan

I'd say that they're more of an impeller. They throw the cuttings against the inner surface of the mowing deck. Where that surface is removed to form a chute, the debris goes out and gets bagged (or just strewn about the yard).

On an industrial scale, it's better to cut the grass and let it dry a bit before you hoover it up...

Chopping_Grass_for_Silage_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1343401.jpg

But you may need a nano-scale version of this to use in your back yard :smile:

AlephZero said:
But you may need a nano-scale version of this to use in your back yard :smile:
Depends upon location. If he lives in Canada, that could be his back yard. (My signature refers to the time when I parked a Cessna 150 in my friend's yard.) :biggrin:

Okay, that's a different scene. I thought that you meant a lawnmower, which is what we use in North America for most cutting. What you picture is a weed whacker. That's for tight areas or stuff that is too tough for a mower. Given its limited scope of use, it would be a lot easier and cheaper to just take after it with a rake. Think of all the crap involved in power take-offs and sucking and ducting and carrying bags around...

1. What is a grass trimmer machine?

A grass trimmer machine, also known as a string trimmer or weed eater, is a handheld gardening tool used for cutting and shaping grass and weeds in hard-to-reach areas. It uses a rotating nylon string to trim and edge the grass.

2. How does a grass trimmer machine work?

A grass trimmer machine works by utilizing a motor to spin a spool of nylon string at high speeds. The string is fed through a head that rotates and cuts down grass and weeds as it comes into contact with them. The user simply holds the machine and directs the string to the desired area.

3. What are the different types of grass trimmer machines?

There are three main types of grass trimmer machines: electric, gas-powered, and battery-powered. Electric trimmers are powered by an electric cord and are best for small yards. Gas-powered trimmers are more powerful and better suited for larger areas. Battery-powered trimmers are cordless and offer more mobility, but have a limited runtime.

4. How do I maintain a grass trimmer machine?

To maintain a grass trimmer machine, it is important to regularly clean the cutting head and remove any debris or tangled strings. The air filter should also be checked and cleaned or replaced as needed. The string should be replaced when it wears down and the machine should be stored in a dry place to prevent rusting.

5. Is a grass trimmer machine safe to use?

When used properly, a grass trimmer machine is generally considered safe. However, it is important to wear protective gear, such as safety glasses and closed-toe shoes, to prevent any potential injuries from flying debris. It is also important to read the manufacturer's instructions and follow all safety precautions.