Mechanism for vertical movement while rotating horizontally

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a bespoke machine for a university coursework that can scoop out a 1mm thick sample from any aerospace component. The proposed design includes a motor to rotate a shaft connected to a cutter with abrasive particles, which will cut at a controlled depth. The challenge lies in making the cutter eventually go up after reaching a certain length, and also addressing the issue of a non-flat surface. The idea of using a reciprocating spoon is also mentioned as an alternative.
Arun John
Hi I am trying to make a CAD model of something like the scoop sampler shown below.

http://www.rolls-royce.com/~/media/...tomers/nuclear/scoop-sampling-tcm92-50918.pdf

This is for a university coursework that requires design of bespoke machines. I am trying to design a machine that can literally scoop out a 1 mm thick sample from any aerospace component. My intention is to use a motor to rotate the shaft which is connected to the cutter (with abrasive particles to cut through metal).

rXH5i.jpg

See this would initiate the cutting and only cut at the controlled depth (based on the dimension of the cutter) but how can I possibly make the cutter to eventually go up? (lets say after 35 - 40mm length I want the cutter to make a vertical movement so that it scoops out). To clarify I want the final metal scoop to be roughly 40mm long, 20mm wide and max thickness of 1mm. So once it reaches around 35mm how can I make it go up vertically while the shaft and cutter is rotating in the horizontal axis?

Finally what if I don't have a flat surface. Imagine if I have a concave surface. I have some ideas but I can't seem to get through these initial problems.

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. How does a mechanism for vertical movement while rotating horizontally work?

The mechanism for vertical movement while rotating horizontally uses a combination of gears and levers to convert rotational motion into vertical motion. As the gears rotate, the levers push or pull on the object, causing it to move up or down.

2. What is the purpose of a mechanism for vertical movement while rotating horizontally?

This type of mechanism is commonly used in machinery and equipment to lift or lower objects while also rotating them. It allows for more complex and dynamic movements to be achieved.

3. Can a mechanism for vertical movement while rotating horizontally be adjusted for different speeds?

Yes, the speed of the vertical movement can be adjusted by changing the gear ratio and the speed of the rotational motion. This allows for more precise control over the movement.

4. What materials are typically used in a mechanism for vertical movement while rotating horizontally?

The gears and levers in this type of mechanism are usually made of metal, such as steel or aluminum, for durability and strength. Other components may be made of plastic or rubber for flexibility and smooth movement.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a mechanism for vertical movement while rotating horizontally?

Yes, it is important to ensure that all components are properly lubricated and maintained to prevent malfunctions or accidents. It is also important to follow all safety guidelines and instructions provided by the manufacturer.