Gravimetric Analysis with empirical formula

• Thread starter asz304
  • Start date
asz304

Homework Statement

a 3.500 g sample of a compound of cobalt and iodine was dissolved in water and treated with excess AgNO3 solution producing 5.255g AgI. Determine the empirical formula.

A clearer view of the question:http://www.chem.mun.ca/courseinfo/c1050/Louise_Dawe/Basic%20Chemical%20Concepts%20I.pdf" [Broken]

question # 20.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by getting the mole of AgI and making a mole to mole ratio with CoxIy...and I'm not sure if what I did was right.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
You do not yet know the mole ratios or atom ratios of the I to the Co. First use the 1:1 mole ratio for the reaction of AgNO3 to the Iodide ion. How many moles of Iodide were precipitated? That gives you the number of moles of I from the sample of the cobalt-iodine compound. Convert to grams; find the grams of cobalt by difference, since you know how much sample you used.

asz304
Do I need to find the moles of AgNO3 to find the 1:1 mole ratio? or get the moles of AgI from it's mass 5.255g? and to which Iodide are you referring to?

Thanks

Borek
Mentor
AgNO3 was in excess to ensure all iodine has been precipitated as AgI (silver iodide). Exact amount of AgNO3 doesn't matter.

Suggested for: Gravimetric Analysis with empirical formula

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies