Gravimetric Analysis with empirical formula

In summary: The Iodide ion is the ion that reacts with the silver ion in the solution to form AgI. In summary, to determine the empirical formula of the compound of cobalt and iodine, a 3.500 g sample was dissolved in water and treated with excess AgNO3 solution, producing 5.255g AgI. The mole ratios of AgI to Iodide were used to calculate the number of moles of Iodide in the sample, which was then used to find the grams of cobalt by difference. The Iodide ion was the ion that reacted with the silver ion to form AgI.
asz304

Homework Statement

a 3.500 g sample of a compound of cobalt and iodine was dissolved in water and treated with excess AgNO3 solution producing 5.255g AgI. Determine the empirical formula.

A clearer view of the question:http://www.chem.mun.ca/courseinfo/c1050/Louise_Dawe/Basic%20Chemical%20Concepts%20I.pdf"

question # 20.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by getting the mole of AgI and making a mole to mole ratio with CoxIy...and I'm not sure if what I did was right.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You do not yet know the mole ratios or atom ratios of the I to the Co. First use the 1:1 mole ratio for the reaction of AgNO3 to the Iodide ion. How many moles of Iodide were precipitated? That gives you the number of moles of I from the sample of the cobalt-iodine compound. Convert to grams; find the grams of cobalt by difference, since you know how much sample you used.

Do I need to find the moles of AgNO3 to find the 1:1 mole ratio? or get the moles of AgI from it's mass 5.255g? and to which Iodide are you referring to?

Thanks

AgNO3 was in excess to ensure all iodine has been precipitated as AgI (silver iodide). Exact amount of AgNO3 doesn't matter.

for providing a link to the question for clarification. Based on the information provided, the first step would be to calculate the moles of AgI produced. This can be done by dividing the mass of AgI (5.255 g) by its molar mass (234.77 g/mol). This gives a value of 0.0224 moles of AgI.

Next, we need to determine the moles of iodine in the compound. Since the only source of iodine in the reaction is from the compound, we can assume that the moles of iodine in the compound is the same as the moles of AgI produced. Therefore, the compound contains 0.0224 moles of iodine.

To determine the moles of cobalt in the compound, we need to use the mass of the compound (3.500 g) and the mass of iodine (0.0224 moles x 126.9 g/mol = 2.8426 g) to calculate the mass of cobalt. The mass of cobalt is 3.500 g - 2.8426 g = 0.6574 g. Converting this to moles using the molar mass of cobalt (58.93 g/mol) gives a value of 0.0112 moles of cobalt.

Finally, we can use the moles of iodine and cobalt to determine the empirical formula of the compound. The ratio of moles of iodine to moles of cobalt is approximately 2:1, giving an empirical formula of CoI2.

1. What is gravimetric analysis with empirical formula?

Gravimetric analysis with empirical formula is a method used in analytical chemistry to determine the relative amounts of different elements present in a compound. It involves measuring the mass of a compound and using this data to calculate the empirical formula, which represents the simplest ratio of elements in the compound.

2. How is gravimetric analysis with empirical formula performed?

To perform gravimetric analysis with empirical formula, a sample of the compound is first weighed and then subjected to a chemical reaction that will result in the separation of one of the elements present. The mass of this element is then measured, and using the law of definite proportions, the mass of the other elements can be calculated to determine the empirical formula.

3. What is the purpose of gravimetric analysis with empirical formula?

The purpose of gravimetric analysis with empirical formula is to determine the composition of a compound and identify the elements present in it. This information can be used to understand the chemical and physical properties of the compound and aid in its characterization and identification.

4. What are the advantages of using gravimetric analysis with empirical formula?

One of the main advantages of gravimetric analysis with empirical formula is its high level of accuracy. It is a quantitative analysis method that does not rely on colorimetric or volumetric measurements, which can be affected by external factors. Additionally, it is a simple and relatively inexpensive method that can be used for a wide range of compounds.

5. What are the limitations of gravimetric analysis with empirical formula?

Gravimetric analysis with empirical formula is a time-consuming process and requires skilled technicians to perform accurately. It is also limited to compounds that can be decomposed into their constituent elements through chemical reactions. In cases where the compound is unstable or contains impurities, the results may not be reliable.