Gravitaional Potential Energy help, please

In summary, gravitational potential energy is the potential energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is calculated using the formula U = mgh and is directly proportional to an object's height. Gravitational potential energy is related to kinetic energy, as both are forms of mechanical energy and follow the law of conservation of energy. Real-life examples of gravitational potential energy include a rollercoaster at the top of a hill, a stretched rubber band, a pendulum at its highest point, and a book on a shelf.
chemEcook

Homework Statement

Four uniform spheres, with masses mA = 350 kg, mB = 600 kg, mC = 1500 kg, and mD = 300 kg, have (x, y) coordinates of (0, 50 cm), (0, 0), (-80 cm, 0), and (40 cm, 0), respectively. Sphere A is then removed.
(a) Calculate the gravitational potential energy of the remaining three-particle system.

Homework Equations

U=-Gm1m2/r12-Gm1m3/r13-...

The Attempt at a Solution

U=-G(McMd/Rcd+McMb/Rcb+MbMd/Rbd)
U=-G(1500*300/.12+1500*600/.8+600*300/.4)=-3.55e-4 J
It's telling me this is wrong but I can't see where I'm going wrong. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind. I found my small error. Thanks, anyway.

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential to do work when the object is moved from its current position to a different position in the gravitational field.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The gravitational potential energy of an object is calculated using the formula U = mgh, where U is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object in the gravitational field.

3. What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and height?

The relationship between gravitational potential energy and height is directly proportional. This means that as the height of an object increases, its gravitational potential energy also increases. Similarly, as the height decreases, so does the gravitational potential energy.

4. How is gravitational potential energy related to kinetic energy?

Gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are both forms of mechanical energy. When an object falls from a height, its gravitational potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. The total energy of the object remains constant, as per the law of conservation of energy.

5. What are some real-life examples of gravitational potential energy?

Some examples of gravitational potential energy in everyday life include a rollercoaster at the top of a hill, a stretched rubber band, a pendulum at its highest point, and a book on a shelf. In each of these cases, the object has potential energy due to its position in a gravitational field.