Gravitation: Calculating Accel. Due to Gravity at 1.43x10^8 m

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
gjax21
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



1.A satellites are placed in a circular orbit that is 1.43 × 10^8 m above the surface of the earth. What is the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity at this distance

Homework Equations



1.I used G*mE/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution



1. Got an answer of .0195m/s^2 I think I get this and have no idea why it is wrong.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the satellite [tex]1.43\cdot 10^8 m[/tex] above the surface of the earth, or [tex]1.43\cdot 108 m[/tex] above the surface of the earth?

Using the former, I got a result only slightly different from yours. Remember that the [tex]r[/tex] in that formula is the distance between the center of the Earth and the satellite, not from the surface of the Earth and the satellite.
 
O thax I didn't realize it was saying above the surface. I meant 1.43x10^8. :)

using 6.674E-11 for G

Mof earth= 5.98E24

r=149380000

I get an answer of .0179, does that check out?
 
Last edited: