1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitation force caused by uniform rod

1. May 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the gravitational force caused by a thin uniform rod of length L on a point mass located perpendicular to the rod at it's center? Assume the point mass is a distance R perpendicular to the rod.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]g = - \frac{GM}{r^2}\hat{r} = - G\rho \int \frac{dV}{r^2}\hat{r}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]g = -G\rho \int \frac{Rdx}{\sqrt{x^2+R^2}^3} [/tex]
    [tex]x = Rtan(\phi) [/tex]
    [tex]g = -\frac{G\rho}{R} * ( \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+R^2}} ) [/tex]
    Using limits of integration from -L/2 to +L/2 to yield:
    [tex]g=-\frac{2G\rho}{R}*(L/\sqrt{L^2+4d^2})[/tex] after removing a factor of 4 from the (L/2)^2 from the square root.

Since the y components cancel, I took theta to be the angle nearest the point mass, and called rhat cos(theta) which I evaluated to R/sqrt(x^2+R^2) which could combine with the r^2 in the denominator from the gravity equation.

If this is wrong, I'll be glad to provide more steps to see where I went wrong. I ended up with a 1/(x^2+R^2)^(3/2) in the integral, so I did a trig substition to integrate it, and came up with the formula wikipedia has in its irrational integrals table, so I'm pretty sure that's alright, but wasn't sure if I set it up right.
    Last edited: May 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2007 #2
    Looks okay to me. This is how I did it (I get the same integrand form)

[tex]d\vec{f} = \frac{Gdm}{R^2+x^2}\left(-\cos\theta \hat{i} + \sin\theta \hat{j}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\cos\theta = \frac{R}{\sqrt{R^2+x^2}}[/tex]
    [tex]\sin\theta = \frac{x}{\sqrt{R^2+x^2}}[/tex]

The integrand over [itex]\hat{i}[/itex] is an odd, so it integrates to zero ([itex]x[/itex] ranges from [itex]-L/2[/itex] to [itex]L/2[/itex]). You get

[tex]\vec{f} = -\hat{j}G\lambda R\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}\frac{1}{(x^2+R^2)^{3/2}}dx[/tex]
    Last edited: May 10, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?