Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitation of heavy particles

1. Mar 27, 2010 #1
    Heavy particles produced in high energy collisions in accelerators are 'hidden' in normal low energy conditions. Might heavy particles manifest only their gravitational mass in normal low energy conditions, even as they remain otherwise 'hidden'?

Could dark matter be high-energy heavy particles that are manifesting only their gravitational mass in normal low energy conditions?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2
    ''Do heavy particles manifest their gravitational mass as particles in normal low energy conditions, even though they are otherwise 'hidden'?''

No. Low energy conditions are associated to geometry. Heavy particles are presumably pointlike, so what concerns their individual states are high energy conditions. If i get your meaning correctly. So effectively, they obtained mass just like any other quantized model for particles which is concerned with high-energy conditions rather than low ones corresponding to geometry. This is called quantum graphity.

''Could dark matter be heavy particles that are manifesting only their gravitational mass as particles in normal low energy conditions?''

No, because theoretically, heavy particles can still interact with the electromagnetic force. Their detection via other means would have been present if they were the general cause.

4. Mar 28, 2010 #3
    The answer's still definitely no, but I'm not sure how helpful the last post was...

Heavy particles aren't "hidden" per se; they just don't generally exist in conditions because they aren't stable. They are in fact so unstable that when they're created in particle collisions, even moving at (a very large fraction of) the speed of light, they decay before they reach the detectors.
    The process of extracting predictions from particle physics theories is for this reason a pretty difficult business that goes under the name of phenomenology; it's been compared to trying to recreate how a swiss watch works by analysing the cogs that fly out when you smash it with a sledgehammer.

5. Mar 28, 2010 #4
    Just so I am clear on this let me ask with a real example. The bosons of the weak force, W and Z were discovered (by their decay products) by colliding protons and antiprotons in an accelerator. In principle, could these bosons be also observed (by their decay products) in naturally occuring weak interactions? In other words, was the accelerator experiment to detect the bosons done only so as to be able to produce them copiously and make them more likely to be detected?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook