What does this equation for a free particle mean?

In summary: E?In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a free particle with mass m, represented by the wave function psi(x,0) = e^(ip_ox/hbar) in a piecewise manner. The goal was to normalize the function and find the expectation values of position and momentum as functions of time. The solution involved multiplying the wave function by a normalization constant and a time-dependent factor, and then using the formula for expectation values to calculate the desired quantities.
Rob Turrentine
So there's a free particle with mass m.

\begin{equation}

\psi(x,0) = e^{ip_ox/\hbar}\cdot\begin{cases}

x^2 & 0 \leq x < 1,\\

-x^2 + 4x -2 & 1 \leq x < 3,\\

x^2 -8x +16 & 3 \leq x \leq 4, \\

0 & \text{otherwise}.

\end{cases}

\end{equation}

What does each part of the piecewise represent? And what are the boundary conditions representative of? Energy levels?

I'm used to working with non-piecewise functions, like \begin{equation} \psi = Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx} \end{equation}
so I'm just not sure what to do.
The goal is to normalize it and then find <X> and <P> as functions of time.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are thinking of eigenfunctions of a Hamiltonian. A wave function can generally be any normalisable function satisfying the appropriate boundary conditions. It need not be an eigenfunction of a Hamiltonian.

Likes bhobba
You should graph the part that multiplies ##e^{i \frac{p_0 x}{\hbar}}##. I don't think there's any particular meaning to its shape. It's just a nice curve that is continuous, and which has a continuous first derivative (though not second derivative).

Likes Rob Turrentine
Rob Turrentine said:
What does each part of the piecewise represent?

Why does it have to represent anything? This appears to be a problem intended to give you some facility with the mechanics of the sorts of calculations one does in QM.

Okay, I think I'm getting it more, thank you! So when normalizing, do I follow this equation

$$\int_{a}^{b} \psi \psi^* dx$$

and set my piecewise accordingly? It appears that the complex conjugate causes $$\bigg(e^{\frac{ip_0x}{\hbar}}\bigg)^2 = \bigg(e^{\frac{ip_0x}{\hbar}}\bigg)\bigg(e^{\frac{ip_0x}{\hbar}}\bigg)^* = e^0 = 1$$
So I would end up at

\begin{equation}
\int_{a}^{b} \psi(x,0)^2dx =\begin{cases}
\int_{0}^{1} (x^4)dx & 0 \leq x < 1,\\
\int_{1}^{3} (x^4 - 8x^3d + 20x^2 +4)dx & 1 \leq x < 3,\\
\int_{3}^{4} (x^4 - 16x^3 +96x^2 - 256x + 256)dx & 3 \leq x \leq 4, \\
0 & \text{otherwise}.
\end{cases}
\end{equation}

Or am I going down the wrong road?

Once again, thank you for any help!

You probably need to realize a fact that any function (some continuity limitations applied) may be a solution of time-dependent shrodinger equation at t=0. I.e. shredinger equation defines how psi function evolves in time, but at particular time t=0 all the values of pis in space may be just set arbitrarily.

Rob Turrentine said:
So I would end up at

\begin{equation}
\int_{a}^{b} \psi(x,0)^2dx =\begin{cases}
\int_{0}^{1} (x^4)dx & 0 \leq x < 1,\\
\int_{1}^{3} (x^4 - 8x^3d + 20x^2 +4)dx & 1 \leq x < 3,\\
\int_{3}^{4} (x^4 - 16x^3 +96x^2 - 256x + 256)dx & 3 \leq x \leq 4, \\
0 & \text{otherwise}.
\end{cases}
\end{equation}
You mean the right thing, but you cannot write it like this.
The left side depends on a and b only, the right side depends on x (case bracket) but then has constant values within the x ranges.
If you directly take the integral from ##-\infty## to ##+\infty## you can just sum the integrals.

By summing them, I got 70.1 plus a constant from the 0.

Is the equation now set up to find <X> and <P> as functions of time?

Rob Turrentine said:
plus a constant from the 0.
The primitive function of 0 is a constant. This does not mean that a definite integral of 0 is non-zero.

So I just end up at 70.1 without a constant? So by multiplying this times the equation is it normalized?

Also, after this am I ready to find <X> and <P> as functions of time?

Rob Turrentine said:
So I just end up at 70.1 without a constant?
Yes.
Rob Turrentine said:
So by multiplying this times the equation is it normalized?
Multiplication is not the right operation here.

The integral is now 70.1. You want the integral to become 1. How do you have to change ψ?
Rob Turrentine said:
Also, after this am I ready to find <X> and <P> as functions of time?
I would start with the expectation values at t=0.

I realized I miscalculated on my integral, and the actual answer is ##\frac{92}{15} - 6.1333.## So my normalized equation would now be
$$ \psi(x,0) = \sqrt{\frac{1}{6.1333}} \cdot e^{ip_ox/\hbar} \cdot
\begin{cases}
x^2 & 0 \leq x < 1,\\
0 & \text{otherwise}.
\end{cases}$$

Now, to turn ##\psi## into a function of time, my book says to multiply it by ##e^{\frac{-iEt}{\hbar}}##. So we would get
$$ \psi(x,t) = \sqrt{\frac{1}{6.1333}} e^{-iEt/\hbar} \cdot e^{ip_ox/\hbar} \cdot
\begin{cases}
x^2 & 0 \leq x < 1,\\
0 & \text{otherwise}.
\end{cases}$$

Finding the expectation values of X and P requires the formula
$$<X> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^*(x,t) X \psi(x,t)dx$$

However, when I use this with ##\psi## I get an unbelievably long integral.

Whoops forgot to add my question...

For the equation ##e^{-iEt/\hbar}## is it best to change E to another variable or keep it as is?

That time evolution is not correct. Each energy eigenstate evolves separately with its own phase contribution. You need to write your initial state as a linear combination of energy eigenstates and evolve them separately. However, you should not really need the exact time evolution of the state to find the time evolution of the expectation values.

I've seen the equation ##<X> = <\psi|X|\psi>##, but wouldn't I need to have ##\psi## as a function of time to find ##<X>## as a function of time? ##\psi(x,t)## instead of ##\psi(x,0)##?

Going off of that, I have to find both ##<X>## and ##\dot{<X>}##.
Ehrenfest's theorem is ##\frac{d}{dt}<X> = (-i\hbar)[X,H]##

Would this equation work? I'm not sure if the expectation value of ##X## in that is just ##\dot{X}##, so I would need a new way to find ##<X>## instead of ##\dot{<X>}##

No. Starting from the general time evolution you should be able to relate the time evolution of the expectation values to their values at t=0.

Also, in LaTeX < and > are relations and are typeset as such. The correct braket delimiters are \langle (##\langle##) and \rangle (##\rangle##).

Ah okay, thank you for the tip!

Okay, I'm still a little bit confused. So you're saying that I can use the equation ##\langle{X}\rangle = \langle\psi|X|\psi\rangle## to find X at t=0, but somehow relate the time evolution expectation values to those at t=0?

It is a free particle - what do you know about the evolution of its momentum?
Start there, then work on <X(t)> later.

Since there's no force, it should just be ##p_o##, right?

You should have a formula to calculate it.

Let me put it this way: For any operator ##A##, the expectation value at a time ##t## is given by
$$
\langle A\rangle(t) = \langle \psi(t)| A | \psi(t)\rangle,
$$
where ##|\psi(t)\rangle## is the state at time ##t##, which follows the Schrödinger equation (all of this in the Schrödinger picture). What is the time derivative of this expectation value?

1. What is a free particle in physics?

A free particle in physics refers to a particle that is not influenced by any external forces. It follows a straight path at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What does the equation for a free particle represent?

The equation for a free particle represents the motion of a particle in a straight line at a constant velocity. It is a mathematical representation of the principle of inertia, which states that an object will remain in its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How is the equation for a free particle derived?

The equation for a free particle is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. By assuming that the particle is not influenced by any external forces, the equation can be simplified to F=ma=0, where F represents the net force, m represents the mass, and a represents the acceleration, which is equal to zero for a free particle.

4. What are the variables in the equation for a free particle?

The variables in the equation for a free particle are the net force (F), the mass of the particle (m), and the acceleration (a). In some cases, time (t) may also be included in the equation to represent the change in position over time.

5. Can the equation for a free particle be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the equation for a free particle can be applied to real-life situations such as the motion of a ball rolling down a ramp without any external forces acting on it. However, in reality, there are usually some external forces present, so the equation may not be a completely accurate representation of the motion of a particle in all situations.