Gravitation person weight problem

In summary, the weight of a person at the equator, as determined by a spring balance, is 750 N. By how much does this differ from the true force of gravitational attraction at the same point? Assume that the Earth is spherically symmetric.
melodrameric
here's the question (from mastering physics):
"The weight of a person at the equator, as determined by a spring balance, is 750 N. By how much does this differ from the true force of gravitational attraction at the same point? Assume that the Earth is spherically symmetric."

Now, i would assume what needs to be done is first finding the mass of the person (750 N / 9.8 m/s^2). then plugging that into the equation:
F = (G*m*M_e)/(R_e^2), using M_e = 5.92*10^24 kg and R_e = 6.38*10^6 m
Then, subtracting that from 750 N. I did this, and came out with 3 different answers depending on my value for acceleration (9.8 or 9.81) and how many figures i used from that figured mass. They were 1.62, 2.09, and 1.32. Mastering Physics told me those were all wrong.
...what?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you didn't take the rotation of the Earth into account.

The question is making you realize the fact that part of our weight is gone to the centripetal acceleration. That statement may be a bit confusing, but if you think about it... if the Earth spun 100 times faster than it did, would you feel lighter? Now if the Earth didn't spin at all, how much heavier would you feel? The question is essentially asking you the latter question.

Hint: Find the centripetal force needed to keep you in circular motion around the equator of the Earth.

wow, how nice of mastering physics to add in the effect of rotation without the slightest bit of warning.
anyway, i checked my notes, and here's what i have written down:
V_person = (2*pi*R_e)/(T) = (2*pi*(6.38*10^6 m))/(24*3600 s) = 463.97 m/s
ΣF_r=m*a_r
n - m*g_0 = m*(-(V_p^2)/R_e)
n = m*g_0 - m*((V_p^2)/R_e)

so is it that last equation i should be using?
with that, i would come out with 747.4 N, with the difference being 2.58 N.

well i went ahead and entered that answer and got it right. thanks for your help :)

1. What is the relationship between gravity and a person's weight?

The weight of an object is directly proportional to the force of gravity acting on it. This means that the stronger the force of gravity, the greater the weight of the object. On Earth, the force of gravity is constant, so a person's weight remains the same, unless they travel to a different planet or location with a different gravitational pull.

2. Why do astronauts appear weightless in space?

Astronauts appear weightless in space because they are in a state of free-fall around the Earth. This means that they are constantly falling towards the Earth, but their horizontal motion is fast enough to keep them in orbit. In this state, the force of gravity is still acting on them, but it is counteracted by their horizontal motion, making them appear weightless.

3. How does mass affect a person's weight?

The greater the mass of an object, the more force of gravity it will experience. This means that a person with a greater mass will have a greater weight. However, mass and weight are not the same thing. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on that object.

4. Can a person's weight change throughout the day?

Yes, a person's weight can change throughout the day. This is due to factors such as eating, drinking, and even breathing. When we consume food and drinks, our weight increases as the mass of these items is added to our body. Similarly, when we breathe, we release carbon dioxide and water vapor, which decreases our weight.

5. How does the strength of gravity differ on other planets?

The strength of gravity on other planets differs depending on their mass and size. For example, the gravitational pull on the surface of Mars is about 38% of the pull on Earth, while on the Moon it is only about 16%. This means that a person's weight would be different on these planets compared to their weight on Earth.