How to calculate the uncertainty for weight?

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the uncertainty for the weight of coins in an experiment. The equations used were w = n * g * m, where n is the number of coins, g is the gravitational constant, and m is the mass of the coin. The attempt at a solution involved using different numbers of coins and discussing the uncertainty in the weight calculation. It was pointed out that the uncertainty in the total weight is not simply the sum of the uncertainties in each individual coin, but rather the square root of the sum of the squares of the uncertainties. This is due to the fact that different coins can have slightly different weights.
jfnn

Homework Statement

Hello, I am calculating the uncertainty for a course I am in. I am specifically calculating the uncertainty for the weight of coins in my experiment.

Homework Equations

The weight of coins in my experiment is equal to the number of coins I used in the part, multipled by g, multipled by the mass of the coin, which is 0.00627 kg.

w= n * g* m[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

w (0.00627)(9.8)(1)
w = (0.00627)(9.8)(3) --> I put three there because three coins are used
w = 0.00627*9.8*4 --> I put 4 there because four coins were used[/B]

(Basically, i used coins from 1-10)

I know that the uncertainty for multiplication is the absolute value of the weight, multiplied by the uncertainty in the mass/mass value

For one coin,
Therefore, uncertainty = (0.05643)(0.002/0.00627)

Therefore uncertainty is 0.001 N?

Is this correct? I am so confused.. It changes if I have a different weight.

Physics news on Phys.org
jfnn said:
Therefore, uncertainty = (0.05643)(0.002/0.00627)
What do the numbers 0.05643 and 0.002 represent? How did you get them?
It is best do think of the uncertainty as a percentage. For example, if you have a 10% uncertainty for one coin of weight 1 ounce, then the uncertainty is ±0.1 oz because that's 10% of 1. If you have 10 coins, the uncertainty is 10% of 10 oz. or 1 oz. That's why it changes if you have a different weight.

Likes jfnn
kuruman said:
What do the numbers 0.05643 and 0.002 represent? How did you get them?
It is best do think of the uncertainty as a percentage. For example, if you have a 10% uncertainty for one coin of weight 1 ounce, then the uncertainty is ±0.1 oz because that's 10% of 1. If you have 10 coins, the uncertainty is 10% of 10 oz. or 1 oz. That's why it changes if you have a different weight.

This is an over-simplification.

If different coins can have slightly different weights (due do different wear-and-tear, different dirt deposits, perhaps very slightly different weights right from the mint, etc.) then the "uncertainty" in the weight of 10 coins is NOT 10 times the uncertainty in one coin; rather, it is about ##\sqrt{10} \approx 3.16## times the uncertainty in one coin. That is because uncertainties of (independent---i.e., unrelated) coins are added together to form an overall uncertainty. That total uncertainty would only be 10 times the single-coin uncertainty if every coin was identical, so that either all of them are a bit overweight by the exactly same (unknown) amount, or all are underweight by exactly the same (unknown) amount. That distinction is fundamental to the application of probability and statistics in the real world. It is also the reason why things appear to us to behave smoothly and predictable, even though they are composed of zillions of atoms moving (at least a bit) in random ways. If uncertainty multiplied instead of added, all matter would behave so erratically that life would be impossible, chemistry would not work, physics would fail, etc.

For more material related to this topic, see, eg,
http://web.mit.edu/fluids-modules/www/exper_techniques/2.Propagation_of_Uncertaint.pdf (especially page 5), or
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2157975.stm
or
http://virgo-physics.sas.upenn.edu/uglabs/lab_manual/Error_Analysis.pdf
among others.

Likes Asymptotic, jfnn and phinds
Ray Vickson said:
This is an over-simplification.
Indeed it is and you are correct to point this out. Considering OP's confusion regarding why the uncertainty in the total weight increases as the number of coins increases, it occurred to me that a simplified, though unrealistic, example of identical coins each differing from the "true" value the same way, would perhaps be a zeroth order qualitative explanation of the basic principle at work.

Likes jfnn
Thank you for your help. Problem solved!

1. How do I calculate the uncertainty for weight?

The uncertainty for weight is calculated by taking the standard deviation of the measurements and dividing it by the square root of the number of measurements. This can be represented by the formula: uncertainty = standard deviation / √(number of measurements).

2. What is the importance of calculating uncertainty for weight?

Calculating uncertainty for weight is important because it helps to determine the accuracy and precision of the measurements. It also allows for comparison between different measurements and helps to identify potential errors or inconsistencies in the data.

3. Can the uncertainty for weight be negative?

No, the uncertainty for weight cannot be negative. It is always a positive value that represents the range of possible values for the weight measurement.

4. How does the precision of the measuring instrument affect the uncertainty for weight?

The precision of the measuring instrument directly affects the uncertainty for weight. A more precise instrument will have a smaller uncertainty, while a less precise instrument will have a larger uncertainty. This is because a more precise instrument can measure smaller increments, resulting in a smaller range of possible values for the weight measurement.

5. Are there any factors that can influence the uncertainty for weight?

Yes, there are several factors that can influence the uncertainty for weight. These include the precision of the measuring instrument, the accuracy of the measurements, and any external factors that may affect the weight measurement (e.g. environmental conditions, human error). It is important to consider and minimize these factors when calculating uncertainty for weight.