Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Gravitational and Inertial Masss

1. May 14, 2010 #1

nla

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the relationship between inertial mass and gravitational mass.

2. Relevant equations

F=Ma

3. The attempt at a solution

To establish a relationship between gravitational and inertial mass they firstly need to be defined. Gravitational mass is the property of objects that determines how they interact via gravity, for example how the Moon rotates around Earth. Inertia is the property of matter that causes it to resist any change in its motion, therefore inertial mass is an objects property that determines how much the object resists any change in motion when force is applied. With the only difference between gravitational and inertial mass being the method used, there are many relationships. If the inertial mass of a body and its gravitational mass are strictly equal at rest, and then they are still equal when the body moves at high velocity.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2010 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is Newton's law of universal gravitation?

4. May 15, 2010 #3
    think of a mass on a platform and the platform is moving upward with an accln. g in a gravitation free space. what force the mass will experience (both magnitude and direction)?

5. May 15, 2010 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That has nothing to do with gravitational mass, bjd40. You are talking about inertial mass.

6. May 17, 2010 #5
    yes i am. the question is to determine the relation btwn the masses (gravitational and inertial). i have started with the experience the inertial one faces and wondering whether the gravitational one faces the same experience. does it lead to anywhere? what is yr opinion? plz correct me if i am off course.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook