Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational attraction of bodies

1. Apr 12, 2008 #1

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Hello! The stem from this problem came to me when I was pondering how to describe the motion of two massive objects feeling the others' gravitational attraction (i.e binary star systems or something like that). Well this got ugly fast so I had to simplify a lot of things, and I finally got an answer for one.

Considering two massive bodies, initially at rest, with respective masses of m1 and m2, I derived a position-time equation of:

x(t)=[tex]\sqrt[4]{x_{o}^{4}-6Gt^{2}(m_{1}+m_{2})}[/tex]

Some notes: This isn't a true position-time equation, because I couldn't figure out how to do it with respect to an outside reference frame (i.e x-y axis), so it is merely the distance between the objects. I can add work such as the solving of the differential equation if necessary.

Can anyone confirm this result? Perhaps add a comment or two that might help with the overall goal described above? Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

4. Apr 14, 2008 #3

Mentz114

Gold Member

Could you explain from whose frame reference your result applies ? For instance, your result might be correct for an observer situated in the line of sight between the bodies, and initially at rest wrt the bodies before they begin moving ( ie at t=0, nothing is moving ).

5. Apr 14, 2008 #4

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

The answer is with respect to either of the moving masses, actually, if that makes any sense. Although, I assumed at t=0 nothing was moving with respect to the other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?