Gravitational Field of Electromagnetic Waves: How is it Generated?

In summary, the conversation is about the origin and formation of gravitational fields in electromagnetic waves and how they are related to the particles and subparticles in the universe. While the speaker asks for a specific "mechanism" or "why" and "how" behind this phenomenon, the responder explains that there is no deeper explanation in physics and that the laws of physics are the underlying foundation for all phenomena. The conversation ends with the responder stating that further explanations may not be possible.
MartinG
Hi !

It catches my attention that atomic particles such as protons, neutornes, electrons and their respective subparticles such as Quarks are theoretically formed by high-energy electromagnetic fields such as gamma rays and then the gravitational field that would generate the mass of these particles would be approximately equal to the gravitational field that the electromagnetic waves that form said particles and subparticles have, so I would like to know and ask you how the gravitational field is generated in an electromagnetic wave that theoretically later forms the gravitational field that have the particles with a given mass.

I thank you for your response and I send you greetings.

Physics news on Phys.org
MartinG said:
how the gravitational field is generated in an electromagnetic wave
An electromagnetic wave has energy, and anything that has energy has a gravitational field.

PeterDonis said:
An electromagnetic wave has energy, and anything that has energy has a gravitational field.
Ok, Yes, I agree and I appreciate your answer.

But my question is more oriented to if someone knows how is the "mechanism with which is formed" the gravitational field in the electromagnetic waves.

MartinG said:
the "mechanism with which is formed" the gravitational field in the electromagnetic waves.
The "mechanism" is what I already said. There is no other "mechanism". Energy (more precisely, stress-energy) causes a gravitational field.

PeterDonis said:
The "mechanism" is what I already said. There is no other "mechanism". Energy (more precisely, stress-energy) causes a gravitational field.
Ok, I understand you. But I would like to know "Why" energy or an electromagnetic wave causes a gravitational field.

There has to be a "Why" or a "How" things are generated or produced, that is what I would like to know.

MartinG said:
There has to be a "Why" or a "How" things are generated or produced, that is what I would like to know.
There never has been a fundamental "why" or "how" in physics. You always get down to your laws of physics that underpin everything. You might get a deeper reason by replacing a theory with a more fundamental theory (e.g. GR replaced Newtonian Gravity), but even the more fundamental theory still has its laws of physics on which it is based. And, by definition, they are laws (or axioms or postulates) with no why or how.

MartinG said:
There has to be a "Why" or a "How" things are generated or produced
No, there doesn't. The fact that your intuition says there should be just means your intuition needs to be re-trained.

Likes Vanadium 50 and Dale
Ok, I understand you.

But I would like to know "Why" and "How" things are or work, even in Quantum Physics or Microscopy, which cannot be seen or experienced well at all, and which are more complex and difficult to know well because they occur or because they happen. But hey, I would like to find an explanation for things and that is why I ask "Why" or "How" they happen, just that.

Because also, if you do not know how "things work", many times they cannot be applied in the different devices that one would like to do.

I appreciate the responses. Greetings.

MartinG said:
I would like to know "Why" and "How" things are or work
As has already been explained, these questions are not answerable, at least not with what you appear to mean by "why" and "how". All we can tell you is what our best current theories say, and we've already done that. If that's not enough for you, unfortunately, you won't be able to get anything further here.

Thread closed.

1. What is a gravitational field of electromagnetic waves?

The gravitational field of electromagnetic waves is a theoretical concept that describes the influence of electromagnetic radiation on the curvature of space-time. It is a manifestation of the theory of general relativity, which states that mass and energy can warp the fabric of space-time.

2. How is the gravitational field of electromagnetic waves generated?

The gravitational field of electromagnetic waves is generated by the presence of electromagnetic radiation. According to the theory of general relativity, this radiation has energy and momentum, which can exert a gravitational force and cause the curvature of space-time.

3. Can the gravitational field of electromagnetic waves be measured?

Yes, the gravitational field of electromagnetic waves can be indirectly measured through the effects it has on the motion of objects. For example, the bending of light around massive objects, such as stars, is a result of the curvature of space-time caused by the gravitational field of electromagnetic waves.

4. What is the relationship between the gravitational field of electromagnetic waves and gravity?

The gravitational field of electromagnetic waves is a component of gravity. Gravity is a force that results from the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass and energy, including electromagnetic radiation. The gravitational field of electromagnetic waves contributes to the overall gravitational force.

5. Are there any practical applications of the gravitational field of electromagnetic waves?

Currently, there are no known practical applications of the gravitational field of electromagnetic waves. However, understanding this concept is crucial for furthering our understanding of gravity and the universe as a whole. It also has implications for technologies such as gravitational wave detectors, which can detect the effects of the gravitational field of electromagnetic waves.