Electric field and electromagnetic waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties and limitations of electromagnetic waves and Coulomb's law. It is mentioned that an electromagnetic wave exists in a point of space only if there is a nonlinear change in the electric field over time. The conversation then delves into the details of using Coulomb's law for moving charges and the need for Maxwell's equations to accurately model electromagnetic waves. The idea of information traveling at the speed of light is also brought up, along with a simulation that shows the electric field lines of a radiating charge.
kent davidge
(sorry for my poor english) I've read that a electromagnetic wave only exists in a particular point of space if in such a point there is a nonlinear change of the electric field in respect to time. Then I took a graph calculator and I derived Coulombs equation for the electric field. The results are shown below.
What surprised me was that when the charge is accelerating, the curve of the rate of change of the field in two points on the same horizontal axis has different forms (maximum points are different). Has it anything to do with the statement I mentioned above? Also, even so I don't know why would it be a wave if these two points has different rate of change at the same time.

6MlkylL.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start from the beginning. What kind of charge are you accelerating? (a point charge?) What is the path of the charge?
What are you plotting? What are the x and y axes on your plot, and what is point 1 and point 2?
What do you mean by nonlinear?

Last edited:
Yes. It's a point charge. By nonlinear I mean a plotted graph E x t where the function isn't a line.
1KP35H6.jpg

But why I can't use Coulomb's law if the distance is a function of time and I properly derived the field in respect to time?

Because Coulomb's law is only valid for static charges. For slow moving charges (compared to the speed of light), it can be fairly accurate, but you can't get waves from Coulomb's law. A moving charge will create a current and a magnetic field. Have a look at Maxwell's equations. If you are in self study, be patient, because normally students learn electrostatics, and then magnetostatics, before learning electrodynamics.

Likes davenn
Ok. What must happen with the magnitude of the electric field in those two points of my example right before and after a wave passing through them?

You only get a wave when you have an accelerating charge. The constant moving charge will have a field, but it won't be a wave.
According to special relativity, no information can travel faster than the speed of light. That means if you accelerate a charge, it will take some time (distance divided by c) before the field is affected at some distant point. Coulomb's law doesn't take this into account.
This might be useful
https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/legacy/radiating-charge
But it shows the electric field lines, not the electric field amplitude. You can estimate the amplitude by looking at how close together the lines are.

Likes davenn

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where a charged particle experiences a force. It is created by a charged particle and can either attract or repel other charged particles.

2. How is an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This is the amount of force (in newtons) that a unit charge (in coulombs) would experience at a specific point in the field.

3. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that is created by the interaction of an electric field and a magnetic field. They are composed of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that are perpendicular to each other and travel through space at the speed of light.

4. How are electric fields and electromagnetic waves related?

Electric fields are essential for the creation and propagation of electromagnetic waves. When an electrically charged particle is accelerated, it creates a changing electric field which then induces a magnetic field. This process continues, resulting in the formation of an electromagnetic wave that can travel through space.

5. What are some practical applications of electric fields and electromagnetic waves?

Electric fields and electromagnetic waves have many practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication, and medical imaging technologies such as MRI machines. They also play a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices such as cell phones, computers, and household appliances.