Gravitational force among 4 spheres

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnitude of the gravitational force exerted on one sphere at a specific location in a square by the other three spheres. The attempt at a solution involves using an equation and determining the values for F1 and F2. After some calculation errors, the correct solution is found to be 1.46 * 10^-8 Newtons.
gillyr2

Homework Statement

Four 7.5kg spheres are located at the corners of a square of side 0.70 m.
Calculate the magnitude of the gravitational force exerted on one sphere which is in left and down corner of the square by the other three.

Homework Equations

F_tot = F_2 + sqrt(2) * F1

The Attempt at a Solution

came up with that equation, but it says i am wrong.
can anyone help/

Physics news on Phys.org
It'll be better if you explain your equation (or your solution).

well since they are in a square and have equal masses F_1 = F_3 in magnitude. and for our triangle we have 1/sqrt2 are the sides and 1 is the hypotenuse. i got that. but i don't think its right

am i way offf? can anybody help

gillyr2 said:

Homework Equations

F_tot = F_2 + sqrt(2) * F1
If I understand what you're saying here, this is correct. But it's not the final answer.

What are F_2 and F_1?

F1 and F3 are the 90 degree forces and F2 is the 45 degree force. what do i still need to do?

Still your solution solution looks bit wrong. Show the substitution process (the values for F1 ..) and and calculation, so that I can help you better.

gillyr2 said:
F1 and F3 are the 90 degree forces and F2 is the 45 degree force. what do i still need to do?
That's just the schematic of the answer. Now you have to figure out F1 & F2 and plug in the numbers. I assume they want an actual answer for the force in Newtons.

F1 = ((6.67 * 10 ^-11)* 7.5 *7.5 )/ .70^2 = 7.66 * 10^-9

length of hypotnuse
sqrt(.70^2 +.70^2); = .99

F2 = ((6.67 * 10 ^-11)* 7.5 *7.5 )/ .99^2 = 3.83*10^-9

F_tot = 3.83*10^-9 + sqrt(2) * 7.66*10^-9 =

1.46 * 10^-8

PROBLEM SOLVED. I MUST HAVE JUST PLUGGED IN SOME WRONG NUMBERS. THANKS ANYWAY

What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force among 4 spheres?

The formula for calculating the gravitational force among 4 spheres is: F = G * (m1 * m2 * m3 * m4) / r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1-m4 are the masses of the four spheres, and r is the distance between the spheres.

How does the distance between the spheres affect the gravitational force?

The gravitational force between the four spheres is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

Can the gravitational force among 4 spheres be repulsive?

No, the gravitational force is always attractive between masses. It can only be repulsive if one of the masses has a negative value, which is not possible in this case.

What is the role of the gravitational constant in the calculation of the force?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a fundamental constant that relates the strength of the gravitational force to the masses and distances of the objects involved. It is a necessary component of the formula for calculating the gravitational force among 4 spheres.

How is the gravitational force among 4 spheres related to the Law of Universal Gravitation?

The Law of Universal Gravitation states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The formula for calculating the gravitational force among 4 spheres follows this law, as it takes into account the masses and distances between the four spheres.