Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational force of moving objects

1. Jul 31, 2013 #1
    Hello guys!

According to relativity, objects with higher kinetic energy have larger mass. Would that affect the gravitational force of the object?

Or in other words, if a neutron moves faster, would it attract other things more strongly?

tyvm

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2013 #2
    If you have a box full of a certain number of slowly moving neutrons and another identical box full of the same number of, but faster moving, neutrons, the second box would have a sligthly stronger gravitational attraction on things outside of the box.

4. Aug 1, 2013 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

5. Aug 1, 2013 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

"A box full of neutrons" is different from "a neutron." Gravitational effects are determined by the stress-energy tensor, which I would expect to be different for a box full of randomly-moving neutrons versus the same number of neutrons all moving together in one direction with the same speed.

This question (about the gravitational effect of a moving object) comes up rather often, but I can't find any of the previous threads at the moment. Their titles must not be very obvious, and I can't think of any search keywords that give focused results. We really need an FAQ about it.

Most people's first guess is that an object's gravitational effect depends on the so-called "relativistic mass" ##\gamma m_0 = m_0 / \sqrt {1 - v^2 / c^2}##. However, it's not that simple. For one thing, you have to define carefully what you mean by "gravitational effect" in general relativity. I seem to remember a recent thread in which it turned out that (for a certain definition of "gravitational effect") the appropriate quantity is actually ##\gamma (1 + \beta)m_0## where β=v/c.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  6. Aug 1, 2013 #5

Bill_K

Science Advisor

This may be the thread you're thinking of. And here's the paper that derived the result.

7. Aug 1, 2013 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that's the one, thanks! I saw the title of that thread when I was skimming backwards chronologically, but I didn't look at it because the word "weight" indicated passive gravitational mass to me, that is, the effect of a gravity on a moving object rather than the effect produced by a moving object. Nevertheless, the paper does address active gravitational mass (the "by" case).

8. Aug 1, 2013 #7
    How do you know which object it the moving object? The situation with effect of gravity on a moving object from a stationary object is identical to the situation of gravity by a moving object on a stationary object...

9. Aug 1, 2013 #8

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Agerhell, if you take a glance at the paper we're referring to, you'll see that this is exactly what is used to to do the calculation. The deflection of a test particle in the field of a static mass is calculated, and then interpreted in the reverse fashion,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook