1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Force problem

1. Sep 5, 2005 #1
    Here reads the problem. the equator, near the surface of the Earth, the magnetic field is approximately 50.0 µT northward, and the electric field is about 100 N/C downward in fair weather. Find the gravitational, electric, and magnetic forces on an electron in this environment, assuming the electron has an instantaneous velocity of 7.70 x10^6 m/s directed to the east.

Now for gravitational do i set it up by: (G * m1 * m2) / (d2)? If so what would i use for the distance.

For electric force i assume i set it up by: kq/r^2 ?

And then for magnetic forces i assume i set it up by: qvxB?

Also for the directions, would i use teh right hand rule for each one?

Any suggests towards the right way of doing this would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2005 #2

Gold Member

For the gravitational force, if you were to use [tex]F=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2}[/tex], then r would be the radius of the earth. However, this is unnecesary since around the surface of the earth the terms [tex]\frac{Gm_1}{r^2}[/tex] are nearly constant and given by [itex]g \approx 9.81m/s^2[/itex], so the force is just mg.

For the electric force, [itex]\vec{F}=q\vec{E}[/itex] would be more appropriate.

Fort the magnetic force you have it right. The right hand rule is the way to find the direction of the magnetic force.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?