Determining the magnetic force on an electron

In summary: Yes, using the RHR correctly would be pointing your thumb in the direction of the velocity (q(v x B)) and your middle finger pointing in the direction of the magnetic field (B). However, because the electron is negatively charged, you take the opposite direction of your thumb (or use your left hand entirely and take the direction of your thumb). So with q(v x B) = -F, the thumb would point in [E] and the fingers would point [N]. Hope this helps!
chef99

Homework Statement

A magnetic field of 0.0200 T [up] is created in a region.a) Find the initial magnetic force on an electron initially moving at 5.00 x106 m/s [N] in the field.b) What is the radius of the circular path? Make a sketch showing the path of the electron.

Homework Equations

FM = qvB

FC = FM

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
FM = qvB

Fm = (1.60 x10-19C)(5.00 x106)(0.0200T)

FM = 1.6 x10-14 C

Using the right-hand rule, point the thumb in the opposite direction of the velocity, as the charge is negative. So thumb points south. The fingers point [up], in the direction of the field and the palm points west.

Therefore the direction of the magnetic force is 1.6 x10-14 C [west]b)

The electron will move with uniform circular motion.

Fnet = FM -but in circular motion, Fnet = FC

FC = FM

mv / r = qB

r = mv / qB

r = (9.11 x10-31kg)(5.00 x106) / (1.60 x10-19C)(0.0200T)

r = 1.42 x10-3m

The electron will experience a uniform circular motion with a radius of 1.42 x10-3m
I'm pretty sure I have this right, the one thing I'm not very confident about is whether I used the right-hand rule properly or not. Furthermore, assuming that the direction of the magnetic force is [west] is correct, is it in fact [west], or should it be
. The reason I used west is because the magnetic force on the electron was [N], not [up]. Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you did most of it right, but are Coulombs the correct units for force?

You did use the RHR correctly, but when you say that the magnetic force on the electron is up [N], this is not correct. When I use the RHR I use my pointer finger to point in the direction of velocity, (since it is the first term in the cross product), then my middle finger points in the direction of the magnetic field(second term B). So with q(v x B) = F, then your thumb will point in the correct direction for the force on a positively charged particle. Since yours is negative, you just take the opposite direction of your thumb (or use your left hand entirely and take the direction of your thumb). With v moving [N], and B pointing [up], you should get your thumb pointing in [E], then you must take the opposite direction since your particle is negative (electron). Otherwise the math is correct. Hope this helps!

NateTheGreatt77 said:
You did use the RHR correctly, but when you say that the magnetic force on the electron is up [N], this is not correct. When I use the RHR I use my pointer finger to point in the direction of velocity, (since it is the first term in the cross product), then my middle finger points in the direction of the magnetic field(second term B). So with q(v x B) = F, then your thumb will point in the correct direction for the force on a positively charged particle. Since yours is negative, you just take the opposite direction of your thumb (or use your left hand entirely and take the direction of your thumb). With v moving [N], and B pointing [up], you should get your thumb pointing in [E], then you must take the opposite direction since your particle is negative (electron). Otherwise the math is correct. Hope this helps!

Thanks that makes a lot more sense. just to clarify, I got the direction of the magnetic force right, (1.6 x10-14 C [W]) just how I used the RHR was incorrect?

1. What is the formula for determining the magnetic force on an electron?

The formula for determining the magnetic force on an electron is F = qvBsinθ, where q is the charge of the electron, v is its velocity, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

2. How do you calculate the direction of the magnetic force on an electron?

The direction of the magnetic force on an electron can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the electron's velocity, your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, and the direction that your palm is facing will be the direction of the magnetic force.

3. What is the SI unit for magnetic force on an electron?

The SI unit for magnetic force on an electron is Newton (N). This is the same unit used to measure other types of forces, such as gravitational force.

4. How does the velocity of an electron affect the magnetic force?

The magnetic force on an electron is directly proportional to its velocity. This means that as the velocity increases, the magnetic force also increases. However, the direction of the velocity also plays a role in determining the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the magnetic force on an electron?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the magnetic force on an electron. These include the strength and direction of the magnetic field, as well as the charge of the electron. Additionally, the presence of other nearby particles or magnetic fields can also influence the magnetic force on an electron.