Gravitational Force Vector exerted by 2 charged objects

In summary, two thin hollow plastic spheres with masses of 2e-3 kg and charges of -4e-9 C and -6e-9 C respectively are located at <40e-2, -20e-2, 0> m and <-50e-2, 40e-2, 0> m. The relative position vector between them is <-90e-2, 60e-2, 0> m and the distance between the charges is 1.0816653 m. The gravitational force exerted on q2 by q1 is 2.29059829e-16, and the electrostatic force between the two objects is 1.84615e-7
Nal101

Homework Statement

Two thin hollow plastic spheres, about the size of a ping-pong ball with masses (m1=m2 = 2e-3 kg) have been rubbed with wool. Sphere 1 has a charge q1 = -4e-9 C and is at location < 40e-2, -20e-2, 0 > m. Sphere 2 has a charge q2 = -6e-9 C and is at location < -50e-2, 40e-2, 0> m

I've already calculated
Relative Position Vector: <-90e-2, 60e-2, 0>
Distance between q1 and q2: 1.0816653 m
Unit Vector: <-.8320502943, .5547001962, 0>
Magnitude of gravitational force exerted on q2 by q1: 2.29059829e-16
The Electrostatic Force between the two objects: 1.84615e-7

Questions:
1) What is the gravitational force (vector) exerted on q2 by q1?
2) What is the electric force (vector) exerted on q2 by q1?

Homework Equations

Fnet = G * [(m1 * m2)/r^2]
Felec = k * [(q1 * q2)/r^2]

The Attempt at a Solution

For question 1, I took each separate component of the unit vector and divided it by the magnitude.
i.e.
<(-.8320502943 / 2.29059829e-16), (.5547001962 / 2.29059829e-16), 0>
For question 2, I didn't know where to start, assuming I needed the answer to question 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey there NAl101 :smile:

Why do you think that questions 1 and 2 are related?

You have already written the formula Felec = k * [(q1 * q2)/r^2]
which gives the electrostatic force bewteen two point charges (and I think it is safe to say that we can treat these as point charges).

Perhaps it is the sign of the charges that is troubling you? If so, I would simply treat the formula with their absolute values and then determine the direction by inspection.

That is: F_elec = k*[(|q1||q2|)/r^2]

Direction = "you tell me" :wink:

Thanks.

Why do you think that questions 1 and 2 are related?
Actually I do not know, it seems rather absurd at this point in time. I believe though at the time, since I couldn't figure out either one of them, they were seemingly related. I know this to be a false assumption though, seeing as they pertain to different aspects of the system.

The real problem I seem to be having is calculating the answers into a vector form. At first I thought it was simple, and for question 1, divide the unit vector by 2.29059829e-16 (magnitude of grav force) and on the same path, for question 2, divide the unit vector by 1.84615e-7 the electrostatic force between the two objects. This has apparently been disregarded as the correct answer, leaving me with no idea on how to calculate the answers.

Would I be correct in assuming the use of the two formulas towards my answer, having r = the values for x and y in the relative position vectors?

Hmm. I am not sure what the convention is here. We always used the "radial unit vector" to denote the direction. So the answer simply had a magnitude of |F_elec|=k*[(|q1||q2|)/r^2] and a direction of r_hat

If you want to write the answer in Cartesian Coordiantes, then you must take the Magnitude of the Vector:

|F_elec|=k*[(|q1||q2|)/r^2]

and then multiply it by the unit vector in the direction of r, which is what I think you are trying to say.

i.e. r_unit = (rxi+ryj)/|r|

So.. for problem 2..

1.84615e-7 <-.8320502943, .5547001962, 0>

and problem 1, change the scalar to 2.29059829e-16 ?

Awsome! it worked. Many thanks saladsamurai.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force vector between two charged objects?

The formula for calculating the gravitational force vector between two charged objects is F = k * (q1 * q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. How does the distance between two charged objects affect the gravitational force vector?

The gravitational force vector between two charged objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

3. Can the gravitational force vector between two charged objects be repulsive?

Yes, the gravitational force vector between two charged objects can be repulsive if the charges of the objects are of the same sign. In this case, the force pushes the objects away from each other.

4. What factors affect the strength of the gravitational force vector between two charged objects?

The strength of the gravitational force vector between two charged objects is affected by the charges of the objects, the distance between them, and the presence of other charged objects in the surrounding environment.

5. How is the direction of the gravitational force vector determined between two charged objects?

The direction of the gravitational force vector between two charged objects is determined by the charges of the objects. If the charges are positive and negative, the force vector will be attractive and point towards each other. If the charges are both positive or both negative, the force vector will be repulsive and point away from each other.