Gravitational Forces between three stars

In summary: So in summary, the stars form an equilateral triangle with a center of 3.71*10^5m. When they are released from rest, they each have a kinetic energy of 1/2mV^2 and a gravitational potential energy of 1.22*10^41. They collide and the star with the lowest energy is the one that goes away.
NivekOh

Homework Statement

Three stars, each with the mass and radius of our sun, form an equilateral triangle 5.0*10^9m on a side. If all three are simultaneously released from rest, what are their speeds as they crash together in the center?

Homework Equations

Fg= GMm/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

It says the three stars are released from rest and start accelerating towards each other, so I'm assuming there is no centripetal acceleration (?). So I set 2Fgcos30 equal to ma and solved for a, which equals 9.2. Then I plugged it into the v = (2as)^(1/2) formula with s=2.89*10^9m being the midpoint of the circle using trig. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

The given answer in the book is 3.71*10^5m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the acceleration uniform?

I'm not sure, but if it wasn't.. you would have to account for stuff I feel like is impossible, like accounting for the increase in gravitational forces as the stars accelerate towards each other...

That is what you need to do. I wouldn't say it is impossible, just needs a little more thought.

To solve this problem, you need to start out with the basic equation of conservation of energy, as this is an energy problem.So the gravitational potential energy equation is given by Ue = G M1*M2/R

Kinetic energy is K = 1/2 M V^2

We need to calculate the gravitational potential energy for one of the masses, since the equations of motion for one of them is the same for the other two.

So since G is just the constant, leave it be...M1 can be equated as the other two masses, so 2*mass of sun, then M2 is the mass of the current sun at hand, so M1 = mass of sun. R is going to be the Rcos30 value as we are only concerned with that particular component.

So once you calculate your gravitational potential energy...I got something around 1.22*10^41 or so...there is a negative sign as it indicates direction. Then set that equal to the kinetic energy, 1/2mV^2, and solve for V.

1. How do gravitational forces between three stars affect their orbits?

Gravitational forces between three stars can cause their orbits to become unstable, leading to changes in their shape, size, and orientation. This is known as the three-body problem and is a complex issue that is still being studied by scientists.

2. Can three stars be in a stable orbit with each other?

Yes, it is possible for three stars to be in a stable orbit with each other. However, this is only possible in very specific circumstances and is not a common occurrence in the universe.

3. How does the mass and distance between three stars affect their gravitational forces?

The mass and distance between three stars directly affect the strength of their gravitational forces. The larger the mass of the stars and the closer they are to each other, the stronger the gravitational forces will be.

4. Can three stars collide due to gravitational forces?

Yes, it is possible for three stars to collide due to gravitational forces. This is more likely to occur when the stars are close together and have large masses, causing their gravitational forces to be stronger.

5. How do scientists study the gravitational forces between three stars?

Scientists study the gravitational forces between three stars using mathematical models and computer simulations. They also observe the movements and interactions of three-star systems in the universe to better understand the effects of gravitational forces.