Electrical forces between two beads in a hemisphere

In summary, the homework statement states that two beads with the same mass and charge will move when placed in a hemispherical bowl of radius R. The charge required for d to become equal to 2R is infinite.
Nick O

Homework Statement

Two identical beads each have a mass m and charge q. When placed in a hemispherical bowl of radius R with frictionless, nonconducting walls, the beads move, and at equilibrium, they are a distance d apart. a) Determine the charge q on each bead. b) Determine the charge required for d to become equal to 2R.

[See image]
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/61123

Homework Equations

Electric force [itex]\vec{F}_{e}=k_{e}\frac{q^{2}}{d^{2}}\hat{r}[/itex]

Gravitational force = [itex]-mg\hat{j}[/itex]

Normal force = [itex]\vec{n}[/itex]
[itex]|\vec{n}|cos(θ) = |\vec{F}_{e}|[/itex]
[itex]|\vec{n}|sin(θ) = mg[/itex]

... where θ is the angle between the normal force and the horizonal.

The Attempt at a Solution

The normal force equations above sum up my progress toward solving the problem. I believe that I somehow need to find the normal force in order to solve for the electric force, which I need in order to solve for q. But, to solve for the normal force, I need to solve for θ, and here I am stuck; I have two equations and three unknowns.

I feel that knowing the lengths of all three sides of the isosceles triangle formed by the center of the hemisphere and the two beads is significant, but I can't find any connection between the angles in that triangle and the angle of the normal force.

With that, I am at your mercy. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

4. Vaguely human introduction.

Hello! I am currently taking Physics II (a calculus-based course with a focus on electromagnetism), and am working toward BS in Computer Engineering. The problem above is, of course, homework. As such, I'm sure we can all agree that the most I should be given is a nudge in the right direction, and not the actual answer.

Thank you in advance.

5. Forum bug discovered.

Whenever I click "Preview Post", the post template is pasted at the end of the message box. To see what I mean, scroll down.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, NickO. Welcome to PF.

Everything you've done looks very good to me. And I think you are right that you need to find another relationship using geometry. What if you drop a perpendicular line from the center of the sphere to the base of your isosceles triangle?

Thank you for the quick response and warm welcome!

Your response confirms my gut feeling - the normal force does follow the radius of the circle. The reason for my doubt was that I had forgotten, over the course of the summer, that normal forces are always perpendicular the the contact surface. In my mind, the normal force could have been pointing in any direction so long as it balanced the free-body diagram.

Thank you very much!

Hi Nick O.

Your attachment "Attachment 61123" does not seem to work (at least not for me). Assuming that I've correctly interpreted your text, the following diagram should depict the situation:
attachment.php?attachmentid=61124&stc=1&d=1377399525.gif

Note that you should be able to avoid trig functions if you use similar triangles (geometry) instead...

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,077
Odd, it doesn't work for me, either. Your diagram accurately depicts the problem.

Thank you both!

As a way to check my calculations on the problem, is the answer to part B as follows? "Infinite charge is required for d to equal 2R."

Nick O said:
As a way to check my calculations on the problem, is the answer to part B as follows? "Infinite charge is required for d to equal 2R."

Yes, that's correct.

Likes 1 person
Thank you once more. I appreciate it!

1. How do electrical forces affect the movement of two beads in a hemisphere?

Electrical forces play a crucial role in determining the movement of two beads in a hemisphere. These forces are created by the attraction or repulsion between electrically charged particles, and they can either attract or repel the two beads depending on their charges. If the two beads have opposite charges, they will be attracted to each other and move towards one another. On the other hand, if the two beads have the same charge, they will repel each other and move away from each other.

2. What factors affect the strength of electrical forces between two beads in a hemisphere?

The strength of electrical forces between two beads in a hemisphere depends on several factors, including the distance between the beads, the magnitude of their charges, and the medium between them. The closer the beads are to each other, the stronger the forces will be. Similarly, the larger the magnitude of their charges, the stronger the forces will be. The medium between the beads also plays a role, as some materials can either enhance or reduce the strength of electrical forces.

3. How do the charges of the beads affect the direction of the electrical forces?

The charges of the two beads determine the direction of the electrical forces between them. Oppositely charged beads will experience an attractive force, causing them to move towards each other. On the other hand, beads with the same charge will experience a repulsive force, causing them to move away from each other. The direction of the forces is always in the direction of the line connecting the two beads.

4. Can the electrical forces between two beads in a hemisphere be measured?

Yes, the electrical forces between two beads in a hemisphere can be measured using a tool called an electroscope. An electroscope is a device that can detect the presence and strength of electrical charges. By bringing the electroscope close to the beads, the needle or indicator on the device will move, indicating the presence and strength of electrical forces between the beads.

5. How do electrical forces between two beads in a hemisphere compare to other types of forces?

Electrical forces between two beads in a hemisphere are one of the four fundamental forces in nature, along with gravity, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. In comparison to other forces, electrical forces are relatively weak, but they play a crucial role in the behavior of atoms and molecules. Without electrical forces, matter as we know it would not exist, as atoms would not be able to form stable bonds.