1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Forces Question! Tricky

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two planets have masses M and m, and the ratio M/m=25. The distance between the planets is R. The Point P, is between the planets as shown (there is no picture though), and the distance between M and P is x. At P, the gravitational forces on an object due to M and m are equal in magnitude. What is x?

2. Relevant equations
    F = (G*M*m)/R^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am stumped. Can you really figure this out with the info given? I ended up with some quadratic equation: 0 = 25R^2 - 50Rx + 24x^2

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Two things -- your equation that you list is not quite right. And the 2nd "m" in the equation is meant to be the mass of an object a distance R away from a mass M. You will need to have three masses listed in your initial equations (the object's mass will cancel out).

4. Mar 26, 2012 #3

Doc Al

Stumped? Looks to me like you figured it out just fine. Now just solve the quadratic!

5. Mar 26, 2012 #4
    I accidentally type the inverse square law incorrectly, but I edited my initial post to fix that. Why would I need three masses if the mass of the object cancels out?

6. Mar 26, 2012 #5
    Alright, awesome, I was just unsure of myself. Thanks!

7. Mar 26, 2012 #6

berkeman

My point was that M and m are listed in the problem as the masses of the two planets. That doesn't fit the equation that you wrote.

8. Mar 26, 2012 #7
    Perhaps I should have used slightly different variables for the equation that I wrote down; it was meant to be a general formula.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook