Ratio of gravitational forces from Earth and Sun on the moon

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 11K views
312213
Messages
52
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The moon is 3.9 × 105 km from Earth's center and 1.5 × 108 km from the sun's center. If the masses of the moon, Earth, and sun are 7.3 × 1022 kg, 6.0 × 1024 kg, and 2.0 × 1030 kg, respectively, find the ratio of the gravitational forces exerted by Earth and the sun on the moon. (Use G = 6.670 × 10-11 Nm2/kg2.)

Homework Equations


F=G(m1m2)/d²
Where F is the force, G is gravity constant, m1 and m2 are masses, and d is distance.

The Attempt at a Solution


F=G(mEarthmMoon)/d²
F=6.67×10-11((6×1024)(7.3×1022))/3.9×108²
F=192074950690335305719.92110453649
F=1.9e+20N

F=G(mSunmMoon)/d²
F=6.67×10-11((2×1030)(7.3×1022))/1.5×1011²
F=432808888888888888888.88888888889
F=4.3e+20N

1.9e+20N / 4.3e+20 = 2.2
and I tried its inverse, 0.44

Neither of these are correct.
I am probably missing something from the question.
What is wrong about this and where?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
312213 said:

Homework Statement


The moon is 3.9 × 105 km from Earth's center and 1.5 × 108 km from the sun's center. If the masses of the moon, Earth, and sun are 7.3 × 1022 kg, 6.0 × 1024 kg, and 2.0 × 1030 kg, respectively, find the ratio of the gravitational forces exerted by Earth and the sun on the moon. (Use G = 6.670 × 10-11 Nm2/kg2.)

Homework Equations


F=G(m1m2)/d²
Where F is the force, G is gravity constant, m1 and m2 are masses, and d is distance.

The Attempt at a Solution


F=G(mEarthmMoon)/d²
F=6.67×10-11((6×1024)(7.3×1022))/3.9×108²
F=192074950690335305719.92110453649
F=1.9e+20N

F=G(mSunmMoon)/d²
F=6.67×10-11((2×1030)(7.3×1022))/1.5×1011²
F=432808888888888888888.88888888889
F=4.3e+20N

1.9e+20N / 4.3e+20 = 2.2
and I tried its inverse, 0.44

Neither of these are correct.
I am probably missing something from the question.
What is wrong about this and where?

First of all lose the precision. It only makes it difficult to see what's going on.

Second of all since they want a ratio. Take it right upfront and recognize that you can express it more simply as:

Fe/Fs = Me*ds2/Ms*de2

Makes calculation a little easier.
 
Me*ds2/Ms*de2
(6×1024*1.5×1011²)/(2×1030*3.9×108²)
0.44

Imputing this as an answer results in an incorrect.

I'm not really sure what the question is asking for, since what I did seems to be correct, as far as I can tell.
 
The moon is 3.9 × 105 km from Earth's center {Re} and 1.5 × 108 km {Rs} from the sun's center. If the masses of the moon, Earth, and sun are 7.3 × 1022 kg, 6.0 × 1024 kg {Me}, and 2.0 × 1030 kg {Ms}, respectively, find the ratio of the gravitational forces exerted by Earth and the sun on the moon. (Use G = 6.670 × 10-11 Nm2/kg2.)

Earth to Sun Ratio = (6.0 x 1024 kg) * (1.5 × 108 km)2 / 2.0 × 1030 kg * (3.9 × 105 km)2 = .4438

Sun to Earth ratio = 2.253

The numbers look right.
 
Hi 312213! :wink:

Well, that method should work …

but why are you putting G and mmoon into the figures?

This is a dimensions problem, and all you need is the ratios.

Try again! :smile:
 
Well this was just the first way I took it. As ratios, the numbers are the same.

Fe/Fs = Me*ds2/Ms*de2

Me*ds2/Ms*de2
(6×1024*1.5×1011²)/(2×1030*3.9×108²)
0.44

Still 0.44.
I think the question is looking at something else. Or wrong altogether.