Ratio of gravitational/repulsive electrostatic force

In summary, the task is to calculate the ratio of the magnitude of the attractive gravitational force to the repulsive electrostatic force between two protons. The relevant equations are F_{Gravity}=G\frac{Mm}{r^{2}} and F_{electric}=k\frac{Qq}{r^{2}}. The mass of a proton is M = m = 1.672e-27 kg, the gravitational constant is G = 6.67408e-11 N•m^2/kg^2, and the charge of a proton is Q = q = 1.60219e−19 C. The value of k, Coulomb's constant, is 8.9875e9 N•
crybllrd

Homework Statement

Calculate the ratio of the magnitude of the attractive gravitational force to the repulsive electrostatic force between two protons.

Homework Equations

Mass of proton = M = m = 1.672e-27 kg
g = 9.80665m/s2
Q = q = 1.60219e−19 C
k = 8.9875e9 N•m2/C2[tex]F_{Gravity}=g\frac{Mm}{r^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]F_{electric}=k\frac{Qq}{r^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The radius [tex]r[/tex] is not given, so I attempted to find it algebraically by plugging in numbers, and I get:

[tex]F_{gravity}=\frac{2.74m/s^{2}\cdot kg^{2}}{r^{2}}[/tex]

I feel certain I am on the wrong track.

Physics news on Phys.org
For Fgravity you should use G, not g. I.e., not 9.8 m/s2

Thanks, I changed g to G, but I'm still not sure what to do after solving for r

Don't solve for r, just leave it in the form

Fgravity = {your expression here}
Then do the same for Felectric.

What is the ratio of gravitational force to repulsive electrostatic force?

The ratio of gravitational force to repulsive electrostatic force is known as the gravitational constant, denoted by G. It is a fundamental constant in physics that determines the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. The value of G is approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2.

How is the ratio of gravitational force to repulsive electrostatic force calculated?

The ratio of gravitational force to repulsive electrostatic force is calculated using Coulomb's law for electrostatic force and Newton's law of universal gravitation. The equation for the ratio is given by G = k_e^2/m^2, where k_e is the Coulomb constant and m is the mass of the two objects.

What factors affect the ratio of gravitational force to repulsive electrostatic force?

The ratio of gravitational force to repulsive electrostatic force is affected by the masses of the two objects, the distance between them, and the strength of the charges on the objects. As the masses increase, the ratio decreases, and as the distance between the objects increases, the ratio also decreases. Similarly, as the strength of the charges increases, the ratio increases.

What is the significance of the ratio of gravitational force to repulsive electrostatic force?

The ratio of gravitational force to repulsive electrostatic force is important in understanding the fundamental forces of nature. It helps explain the behavior of objects in the universe, from the motion of planets around the sun to the interactions between particles in atoms. This ratio also plays a crucial role in theories such as general relativity and quantum mechanics.

How is the ratio of gravitational force to repulsive electrostatic force relevant in everyday life?

The ratio of gravitational force to repulsive electrostatic force is relevant in many everyday situations. It is responsible for the stability of structures such as buildings and bridges, the functioning of electric motors and generators, and the behavior of objects in space. This ratio also helps scientists understand and predict natural phenomena, such as the movement of tides and the formation of galaxies.