Gravitational potential energy from ∞ to r

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school student's struggles with proving the negative value of gravitational potential energy. They provide equations and their attempt at a solution, and eventually realize that their mistake was in calculating the dot product incorrectly. The student receives clarification and thanks the other person for their help.
Saix7
Hello, I'm a high school student studying for the AP Physics test tomorrow. I've been having trouble proving the negative value of gravitational potential energy through working out the work integral. I will greatly appreciate any help and clarification.

Homework Statement

Find the change in gravitational potential energy ##\Delta U## by calculating the work done by the gravitational force to bring a particle of mass ##m_2## from infinity, to a position at a distance ##r## from another particle of mass ##m_1##

Homework Equations

$$\begin{align}\Delta U&=-W\\ U_r-U_\infty&=-W_G \\ W_F &=\int\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r}\\ W_G &=\int^r_\infty \vec{F_G}\cdot d\vec{r} \end{align}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\begin{align}\vec{F_G}\cdot d\vec{r} &=-\frac{Gm_1 m_2}{r^2}\hat r\cdot -d\vec r\\ &=\frac{Gm_1 m_2}{r^2} dr\\ W_G &=Gm_1 m_2 \int^r_\infty \frac{dr}{r^2} \\&=Gm_1 m_2 \Big ( \frac1 \infty - \frac1 r\Big )\\ &=-\frac {Gm_1 m_2}{r}\\ U_\infty&=0 \\ U_r&=\frac {GMm}{r}\end{align}$$

Of course the answer should be negative, since ##\vec F_G## does positive work in moving a particle inwards from an infinite distance. The calculation works out fine when I move a particle from an arbitrary distance ##r## to ##\infty##, but not the other way around. I suspect that I may be working out the dot product wrong in the work equation. The way I see it is that both ##d\vec r## and ##\vec F_G## are in the negative radial direction, so their dot product is positive. Is the infinitesimal ##d\vec r## intrinsically always positive even if the displacement is in the negative radial direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
You suspicion is correct. In fact, many people get confused about this.

First of all, note that you abused notation: you can't equate ##\vec{F}_G \cdot d\vec{r} ## with ## \vec{A} \cdot -d\vec{r} ## because you can't have ## d\vec{r} = - d\vec{r} ##.

Then you ditched ## d\vec{r} ## and introduced ## dr ##, which apparently denotes the magnitude of ##d\vec{r}##, which is always positive by definition. But then the subsequent integral does not make sense, because it ranges from a greater bound to a lower one, thus implying ##dr## is negative.

That's how you got the wrong sign.

I understand now, thank you very much voko!

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential energy that exists between two objects due to their gravitational attraction.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The gravitational potential energy between two objects is calculated using the equation E = -GmM/r, where G is the gravitational constant, m and M are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What does "∞ to r" mean in the context of gravitational potential energy?

In this context, "∞ to r" refers to the distance between two objects, where one object is at an infinite distance and the other is at a distance r. This signifies the potential energy that exists between the two objects at that particular distance.

4. How does gravitational potential energy change as distance changes?

As distance between two objects changes, their gravitational potential energy also changes. As the distance between the objects increases, their potential energy decreases, and as the distance decreases, their potential energy increases.

5. What is the significance of gravitational potential energy in the universe?

Gravitational potential energy plays a crucial role in the formation and dynamics of celestial objects, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. It also helps explain phenomena such as orbits and tides. Additionally, gravitational potential energy is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of the universe on a large scale.