1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational potential energy from ∞ to r

1. May 12, 2013 #1
    Hello, I'm a high school student studying for the AP Physics test tomorrow. I've been having trouble proving the negative value of gravitational potential energy through working out the work integral. I will greatly appreciate any help and clarification.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the change in gravitational potential energy ##\Delta U## by calculating the work done by the gravitational force to bring a particle of mass ##m_2## from infinity, to a position at a distance ##r## from another particle of mass ##m_1##

2. Relevant equations

$$\begin{align}\Delta U&=-W\\ U_r-U_\infty&=-W_G \\ W_F &=\int\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r}\\ W_G &=\int^r_\infty \vec{F_G}\cdot d\vec{r} \end{align}$$

3. The attempt at a solution

$$\begin{align}\vec{F_G}\cdot d\vec{r} &=-\frac{Gm_1 m_2}{r^2}\hat r\cdot -d\vec r\\ &=\frac{Gm_1 m_2}{r^2} dr\\ W_G &=Gm_1 m_2 \int^r_\infty \frac{dr}{r^2} \\&=Gm_1 m_2 \Big ( \frac1 \infty - \frac1 r\Big )\\ &=-\frac {Gm_1 m_2}{r}\\ U_\infty&=0 \\ U_r&=\frac {GMm}{r}\end{align}$$

Of course the answer should be negative, since ##\vec F_G## does positive work in moving a particle inwards from an infinite distance. The calculation works out fine when I move a particle from an arbitrary distance ##r## to ##\infty##, but not the other way around. I suspect that I may be working out the dot product wrong in the work equation. The way I see it is that both ##d\vec r## and ##\vec F_G## are in the negative radial direction, so their dot product is positive. Is the infinitesimal ##d\vec r## intrinsically always positive even if the displacement is in the negative radial direction?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2013 #2
    You suspicion is correct. In fact, many people get confused about this.

First of all, note that you abused notation: you can't equate ##\vec{F}_G \cdot d\vec{r} ## with ## \vec{A} \cdot -d\vec{r} ## because you can't have ## d\vec{r} = - d\vec{r} ##.

Then you ditched ## d\vec{r} ## and introduced ## dr ##, which apparently denotes the magnitude of ##d\vec{r}##, which is always positive by definition. But then the subsequent integral does not make sense, because it ranges from a greater bound to a lower one, thus implying ##dr## is negative.

That's how you got the wrong sign.

4. May 12, 2013 #3
    I understand now, thank you very much voko!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted