1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational potential energy of skier

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 78.9-kg skier rides a 3150-m-long lift to the top of a mountain. The lift makes an angle of 11.9 ° with the horizontal. What is the change in the skier's gravitational potential energy?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused if the angle i used was correct or should i subtract it from 90 or something. I tried that and it was still wrong. Can someone tell me what im doing wrong? is the angle used right
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First of all, the skier is going UP the mountain. Should his gravitational potential increase or decrease?
  4. Feb 23, 2008 #3
    Another note, although they are the same units, you are looking for gravitational potential energy, not work, so your formula isn't quite right.

GPE = mgh

So, you need to find 'h'. If the angle is 11.9˚ with the horizontal, how would you find the height?
  5. Feb 23, 2008 #4
    oh, so the height would be 3150*sin11.9= 649.54m

GPE= 78.9*9.8*649.54=502,237.3J

Is that right?
  6. Feb 23, 2008 #5
    Assuming the skier started at height 0, then that answer looks right to me.
  7. Feb 23, 2008 #6
    that was correct..thanx!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?