Gravitational potential energy of two particles and work done by gravitational force

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 14K views
brett812718
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Need Help on Gravitation Potential Energy Problem

Homework Statement


(a) A 5.3 kg particle and a 3.0 kg particle have a gravitational attraction with a magnitude of 2.6 x10^-12 N. What is the gravitational potential energy of the two-particle system?


(b) If you triple the separation between the particles, how much work is done by the gravitational force between the particles?

(c) How much work is done by you?


Homework Equations


F=(GmM)/r^2
U=-(GmM)/r


The Attempt at a Solution



First I used the given information to solve for r using Newtons law of gravitation. Then I pluged r=1.96E1 into the potential energy equation to get -5.41E-11J but that was wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
brett812718 said:

Homework Statement


(a) A 5.3 kg particle and a 3.0 kg particle have a gravitational attraction with a magnitude of 2.6 x10^-12 N. What is the gravitational potential energy of the two-particle system?


(b) If you triple the separation between the particles, how much work is done by the gravitational force between the particles?

(c) How much work is done by you?


Homework Equations


F=(GmM)/r^2
U=-(GmM)/r


The Attempt at a Solution



First I used the given information to solve for r using Newtons law of gravitation. Then I pluged r=1.96E1 into the potential energy equation to get -5.41E-11J but that was wrong.
Recheck your arithmetic, you separation value is incorrect.
 
brett812718 said:
is R=2.012E1 and U=-5.25E-11 correct
Correct indeed :approve:
 
Also would the solution to part b be U=-(GMm)/3r
 
brett812718 said:
Also would the solution to part b be U=-(GMm)/3r
Not quite, the work done is change in gravitational potential energy.
 
brett812718 said:
Work=((-GMm)/3r)-((-GMm)/r)
Much better :approve:
 
brett812718 said:
I got 3.5E-11J but that was also incorrect
I get something different. Furthermore, be careful with the sign.
 
I got ((-GMm)/3r)=-1.75E-11J and ((-GMm)/r)=-5.25E-11J
is((-GMm)/3r)=-1.75E-11J correct?
 
brett812718 said:
I got ((-GMm)/3r)=-1.75E-11J and ((-GMm)/r)=-5.25E-11J
is((-GMm)/3r)=-1.75E-11J correct?
Yes, your calculations are correct, just be aware of the sign of your final answer.
 
because work is equal to the negative change in potential energy