Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Gravitational Potential Energy Problem

1. Feb 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The magnitude of the attractive force of gravity between two massive bodies is F=GMm/r^2, where G is a constant, M and m are the masses, and r is the distance between the centers of the two bodies. The radius of the Earth is 6.38×10^6 m and its mass is 5.97×10^24 kg. A satellite of mass 1.13e+3 kg is propelled from the surface of the Earth to a height of 35,786 km above the surface of the Earth. What is its change in gravitational potential energy?

2. Relevant equations

W=deltaPE
    PE=mgdeltah

3. The attempt at a solution

I plugged all the numbers into the given equation to get F=1.6268x10^15
    I thought this represented mg in PE=mgh, but after multiplying it with h (and changing h to m rather than km), I didn't come up with the correct answer (which should be 5.96x10^10). Can you tell me where I went wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2010 #2
    Well g is not constant over such large distances.
    Instead you can use

delta(P.E)= - integral(F.dx) where F is the conservative force.(gravity here).

4. Feb 20, 2010 #3
    the problem is that g in high altitudes is significantly different.
    Work is F*h when F is constant. But F varies with height, and in this case the work is the area below F in a graph where F is drawn against h. Formally:
    [tex]\int_{r1}^{r2} F dr = \int_{r1}^{r2} \frac{G m_{1} m_{2}}{r^{2}} dr[/tex]
    The area under [tex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex] from r=1 to r=r1 is [tex] 1 - \frac{1}{r1}[/tex]
    From now on you can compute it even if you don't know what an integral is.

5. Feb 20, 2010 #4
    Okay, so my integral will be GMm x integral 1/rinitial - 1/rfinal

which gives me GMm (1/6.38e6)-(1/4.138e7), so GMm (1.326e-7), but if I times this by the masses I get G(8.945e20)...but I'm stuck, and this doesn't seem anywhere near the correct answer :/ alas

6. Feb 20, 2010 #5
    Hang on- that IS the correct answer.

7. Feb 21, 2010 #6
    Unfortunately my book says the right answer is 5.96x10^10.

How would I possibly get rid of the G in the answer I got (G(8.945e20)) if I don't know what it is? Could I set this equal to something appropriate and make it cancel out?

8. Feb 21, 2010 #7
  9. Feb 21, 2010 #8
    BLAST! Textbook semantics have tricked me again! I assumed we weren't supposed to be able to know this since it's not mentioned in the book. However, it is obviously necessary. Thank you!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook