1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Potential Energy question

1. Jul 21, 2007 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A binary star system has two stars, each with the same mass as our sun, separated by 1.00×10^12 m. A comet is very far away and essentially at rest. Slowly but surely, gravity pulls the comet toward the stars. Suppose the comet travels along a straight line that passes through the midpoint between the two stars.

What is the comet's speed at the midpoint?

The attempt at a solution

I know that this is supposed to use the K_f +U_f = K_i + U_i formula because energy is conserved. But the hard part to this problem is the reasoning behind it. I thing that the final potential energy (U_F) should be zero there fore giving me the eq. K_f = K_i + U_i.....but then I start to wonder if the K_i should be zero also because it says the velocity is essentially at zero. When trying some of these ideas I end up with a radius (for the potential energy formula) -Gmm/r also I am not sure how to factor in the mass of both the planets and the radius between them, I initially thought that I should treat them as one big planet with total mass. Im close, but just need help with the conceptual part of this problem.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2007 #2
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  4. Jul 21, 2007 #3
    Thanks I got it.. K_f + U_f = 0 ..therefore v_f = sqrt([2*G(2*mass of planet)/r]) where radius is 1/2 of the value the question gives..which is the diameter...which is 32,586 m/s

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?