Gravitational time dilation near Earth

In summary: At higher altitude, the clock runs even faster.Now, if we go much higher, towards the Sun, on the line between the center of the Earth and the center of the Sun, the clock should begin, at some point, to run slower, influenced by Sun's gravitation.Where is that "point" (where the clock would stop increasing its tick rate and then start to decrease again), at what distance from the center of the Earth?At some point, the clock should start to decrease its tick rate and then stop.The assumption is that the clock is using thrust to maintain a specified location.I don't think the suggestions and calculations in those other discussions are correct.In summary, the clock on a mountain "ticks"
PeterDonis said:
...So the maximum of the potential, which is where the maximum clock rate will be, is also where the gradient is zero and therefore the net force is zero.

How about the opposite side of the Earth? There is a place there where the 4 forces cancel each other but, beyond it, the clock rate will continue to increase.

Is there a round the Earth transition surface? It is like the rim of the Earth's gravitational well?

What do you think about the optical clocks spiraling upwards from the Earth experiment I suggested? I have reasons to say that such an experiment is very important for relativity. I can't reveal the reasons, because personal theories are forbidden here (not the same in the other forum ... where I intend to post them in the near future), but we may find that the transition will be anything but smooth.

Physics news on Phys.org
DanMP said:
I can't reveal the reasons, because personal theories are forbidden here (not the same in the other forum ... where I intend to post them in the near future),
We thank you for respecting our rules here.

This thread is now closed. Best of luck in your academic pursuits.

Likes DanMP
DanMP said:
How about the opposite side of the Earth?

As a bit of thread cleanup, I should clarify that my statements were only referring to the potential in between the Sun and the Earth. The maximum of the potential between those bodies is only a local maximum, not a global maximum.

Likes DanMP