Gravitational waves and the multiverse

Assuming that the multiverse hypothesis is true and a singularity at the center of a black hole can give rise to another baby universe. Can we detect such an event in the LIGO observatory?

Answers and Replies

Grinkle
Gold Member
To get a sound response, you need to cite a reference that claims there is a multiverse theory predicting a singularity can give rise to a baby universe.

Valid references are peer reviewed publications.

I suggest a better question (and I myself don't know the answer or I would offer it) might be -

Is there any event that might occur entirely inside a black hole that GR predicts could cause gravity waves outside the black hole?

Likes lomidrevo, davenn and berkeman
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Assuming that the multiverse hypothesis is true and a singularity at the center of a black hole can give rise to another baby universe. Can we detect such an event in the LIGO observatory?
As far as I know, there is no single "multiverse hypothesis" that leads to a fully fleshed out physical theory. You would have to specify exactly which theory you were asking about in order to get any answers since whether or not "external universes" can be detected via gravitational waves would be entirely model/theory dependent.

Likes mfb and Kaustubh Namjoshi
Assuming that the multiverse hypothesis is true
There are a couple of completely unrelated ideas that would all lead to the existence of things you could call separate universes. There is no "multiverse hypothesis".

Baby universes from black holes are among the most exotic ideas, and they don't really have a proper working model. We also couldn't detect that.