Gravitons corresponding to flat spacetime.

In summary,Gravitons arise when two particles interact and create a graviton. The interaction between the graviton and the point particles changes the metric, which is what we want.
arroy_0205
Is it possible to define gravitons corresponding to flat spacetime? If so, how? Flat spacetme has zero curvature. How does one mathematically describe gravitons for flat spacetime?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll tell you how I picture them (and I warn you, there are problems with this picture, but it is the best I can do interpretating rather complicated mathematics)

Gravitons, by themselves are no different than any other gauge particle. Taken by themselves, if you could put them on mass shell, they'd propogate just like any other free particle in whatever ambient spacetime with whatever curvature you want with some appropriate equation of motions/geodesics for a massless, spin2 particle.

Now they won't ordinarily arise in that sort of free field case, usually the situation we have is two point masses that interact through the exchange of a virtual graviton. Here again, by itself the graviton is again no different than any other gauge particle. What is however different, is that the *interaction* between the graviton and the point particles, as well as the graviton on graviton interaction (arising from higher order diagrams) will (if you could sum up all the diagrams) induce a backreaction on the actual metric tensor itself, causing a curvature change. Thats exactly what you want. A coherent state of gravitons can and will create dynamics for the gravitational field or alternatively in the more familiar GR language, create the dynamics for how Geometry changes and evolves.

In fact, to answer your original question, the only case where we actually know how to solve anything, is exactly the flat space case. Here you take the original ambient space to also be flat, and we require the point masses to be completely tiny (or far away) such that the interaction is completely negligable, leaving the flat space intact to good approximation. Or in other words, the interaction to preserve zero curvature must be trivial, just like in normal GR.

Thanks, Haelfix. You gave an interesting answer but I am yet to understand a few points. Please clarify if you have time.
First, though I have not tried to do any calculations, I guess from the last line of your answer, that gravitons corresponding to flat spacetime will be constants in time and space. Is that correct?
Second, why should the graviton-graviton and graviton-particle interactions would back-react on the metric? I think these are related to cross-section of the corresponding process. Also why should one bother whether the perturbation series is summable or not? Do you mean to say in case of divergent series, the back-reaction will be infinite? But the connection is not clear to me. Moreover I guess the exact nature how metric will be changed will be a coplicated issue. May be you can tell me if there are any good elementary articles in the archive related to this. Thanks.

1. What are gravitons and how do they relate to flat spacetime?

Gravitons are hypothetical particles that are thought to be responsible for the force of gravity in quantum theory. In flat spacetime, which is a simplified model of the universe, gravitons would be the carriers of gravitational force between objects.

2. How do gravitons correspond to the concept of flat spacetime?

In flat spacetime, gravitons would exist as virtual particles that constantly interact with other particles, creating the force of gravity. Essentially, gravitons would be the mechanism through which flat spacetime is able to produce gravitational effects.

3. Are gravitons the only explanation for flat spacetime?

No, there are other theories and explanations for the concept of flat spacetime, including general relativity which describes gravity as the curvature of spacetime rather than through particle interactions.

4. Can gravitons be observed or detected?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence for the existence of gravitons. However, scientists are working on ways to potentially detect gravitons, such as through gravitational wave detectors.

5. How do gravitons impact our understanding of the universe?

If gravitons are proven to exist, it would greatly advance our understanding of the fundamental forces that govern the universe. It would also have implications for the development of a unified theory that could explain all known physical phenomena.