Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity and massless particles

1. May 19, 2016 #1
    Just finished reading Sean Carroll's "The Higgs Boson and Beyond". I would be grateful if someone could explain how gravity, which I understand to be a function of mass, can interact with massless particles as evidenced by the phenomenon of gravitational lensing. I understand that gravity is a local curvature of spacetime and photons move through spacetime so that makes sense. Is the explanation as simple as that?

Thanks and regards.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2016 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

4. May 19, 2016 #3
    Yes but would massless particles like photons moving through space make gravity.
    So in effect could massless particles moving through space time attract each other.

5. May 19, 2016 #4
  6. May 19, 2016 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Yes. In general relativity, the "source" of gravity is the stress-energy tensor, whose components contain the energy and momentum of an object. Mass is only one form of energy.

7. May 20, 2016 #6
    Energy mass equivalence, gravity can also therefore be described as a function of energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted