General Relativity & Gravity: Exploring the Conundrum

In summary, the video explains how gravity works according to general relativity. Objects bend space time with their mass and create a shape which is close to a cone. Objects only move forward in time through a straight line, so the cone moves with them and there is no expected fall.
Mohammad Hunter
So the other day I saw a YouTube video on how gravity works according to general relativity.
From what I understand, objects bend space_time with their mass and create a shape which is close to a cone. Since objects only move forward in time through a straight line, the bent space_time makes the objects fall on each other.
But my question is: when you create a cone and draw a straight line on it, the line starts from a lower level, goes up and down again( I'm talking about the lines Einstein had in mind) which creates a problem... In the model, all objects start from what looks like the peak and descend down.
I don't understand two things:
1. The heavy object is located on the peak of the cone( right?) And when the straight line is followed, it does get close to the massive object but passes through and starts wandering away( to make it easier I assumed one object is not massive enough to effect the other here)
2. Don't both objects travel with the same speed through time?( Specially when the two objects have the same mass) If so, they should be staying still from each other's perspective.( Their relative velocity is zero) So while the objects are moving forward in time, the cone is moving forward with them. So no fall should be expected.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are taking popular animations and illustrations a bit too seriously here.

Energy, momentum, and stress act as sources of spacetime curvature. (Note that the technical word is that spacetime is curved, not bent.) Spacetime is four-dimensional and that cannot be easily illustrated so popularisers make do with analogies and do what they can.

Orodruin said:
You are taking popular animations and illustrations a bit too seriously here.

Energy, momentum, and stress act as sources of spacetime curvature. (Note that the technical word is that spacetime is curved, not bent.) Spacetime is four-dimensional and that cannot be easily illustrated so popularisers make do with analogies and do what they can.

So many questions, I don't know if they're actually scientific but if I'm correct, curving should not be possible without bending... I've forgotten the term but it has to do with the shape of the object, you can't cover a ball with a piece of flat paper without creating overlaps. If the same rule applies to space-time, then some bending is expected maybe?
Also this is clearly out of my area of knowledge cause I don't know what "relativity of simultaneity" is.
Thanks for the answer, I'll read about relativity of simultaneity.

Mohammad Hunter said:
you can't cover a ball with a piece of flat paper without creating overlaps
This is neither curving nor bending. "Bending" has no well defined meaning in this context and "curved" has a very precise mathematical meaning. It requires no external space to be curved in as you are likely imagining it.

Mohammad Hunter said:
... curving should not be possible without bending
You are using Euclidean Geometry terms. This is not the proper math to use for spacetime (you need Riemann Geometry) and as Orodruin pointed out the terms as applied to space-time do not mean what you think they mean.

Mohammad Hunter said:
So the other day I saw a YouTube video...
How about a link, so we know which one you mean.

1. What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how gravity affects the fabric of space and time, known as spacetime, and how objects with mass interact with each other.

2. How does General Relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity, also known as classical mechanics, describes gravity as a force between objects with mass. General Relativity, on the other hand, explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass. This means that gravity is not a force, but rather a result of the geometry of spacetime.

3. What is the significance of the "conundrum" in General Relativity & Gravity?

The "conundrum" in General Relativity refers to the issue of reconciling this theory with quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles on a very small scale. Both theories have been successful in their respective domains, but they are fundamentally incompatible. This has been a major challenge for scientists and has led to ongoing research and debate.

4. How has General Relativity been tested and confirmed?

General Relativity has been tested and confirmed through various observations and experiments. For example, the bending of light around massive objects, such as stars, has been observed and is consistent with Einstein's theory. The precession of Mercury's orbit, the gravitational redshift, and the time dilation near massive objects are also in agreement with the predictions of General Relativity.

5. What are some practical applications of General Relativity?

General Relativity has many practical applications, including the Global Positioning System (GPS), which relies on precise time measurements that are affected by the curvature of spacetime. It is also used in the accurate prediction of astronomical events, such as the motion of planets and the behavior of black holes. Additionally, General Relativity has implications for our understanding of the origin and evolution of the universe.