Gravity question: Why do things fall?

In summary, the bowling ball/rubber sheet analogy does not explain what causes an object to accelerate toward another mass. Einstein's theory of relativity explains how mass curves space, and how this causes objects to follow geodesics in curved spacetime. This is why objects near a massive object seem to accelerate towards it from the perspective of an observer on the surface.
staballoy
I understand that mass warps spacetime, and am well familiar with the bowling ball/rubber sheet analogy, but that to me is a depiction without explanation of the process. It doesn't explain for me what actually causes an object, Newton's apple for example, to accelerate toward another mass, in this case the Earth. I recall seeing an explanation on a PBS show years ago called Einstein's Universe, that involved gravitational time dilation causing acceleration, IIRC, but can't remember the details. I am an interested non-mathematical layperson, so any explanation is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
staballoy said:
It doesn't explain for me what actually causes an object, Newton's apple for example, to accelerate toward another mass, in this case the Earth.
Basically we don't know.
Newton's laws say objects attract each other because of their mass, Einstein's theory says mass curves space - but these are just ways of saying 'because it does'.

staballoy said:
I understand that mass warps spacetime, and am well familiar with the bowling ball/rubber sheet analogy, but that to me is a depiction without explanation of the process. It doesn't explain for me what actually causes an object, Newton's apple for example, to accelerate toward another mass, in this case the Earth.
The ball/rubber sheet analogy doesn't explain Newtons gravity. This is explained in this post (check also the links there):
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2046692&postcount=4
staballoy said:
I recall seeing an explanation on a PBS show years ago called Einstein's Universe, that involved gravitational time dilation causing acceleration, IIRC, but can't remember the details. I am an interested non-mathematical layperson, so any explanation is appreciated.
Gravitational time dilation and mass attraction are both effects of a distorted time dimension:
http://www.physics.ucla.edu/demoweb...alence_and_general_relativity/curved_time.gif

Are you asking why mass curves spacetime in the first place, or are you asking why, given that mass curves spacetime in this way and that objects follow geodesics in curved spacetime, it so happens that geodesic paths near a massive object will have the property that the smaller objects seem to accelerate towards the larger one from the perspective of an observer on the surface?

JesseM said:
Are you asking why mass curves spacetime in the first place, or are you asking why, given that mass curves spacetime in this way and that objects follow geodesics in curved spacetime, it so happens that geodesic paths near a massive object will have the property that the smaller objects seem to accelerate towards the larger one from the perspective of an observer on the surface?

I'll take answers to both. The diagram from the link offered above (http://www.physics.ucla.edu/demoweb...alence_and_general_relativity/curved_time.gif) helps a bit. If I understand correctly, the passage through time slows the closer an object is to a another mass, but passage through space accelerates, like approaching the speed of light, where the faster an object moves through space, the slower it moves through time.

staballoy said:
I'll take answers to both. The diagram from the link offered above (http://www.physics.ucla.edu/demoweb...alence_and_general_relativity/curved_time.gif) helps a bit. If I understand correctly, the passage through time slows the closer an object is to a another mass, but passage through space accelerates, like approaching the speed of light, where the faster an object moves through space, the slower it moves through time.
Well, there isn't really an answer to why mass curves spacetime, every theory of physics just has some basic ground assumptions which aren't derived from anything else, and which are justified solely in terms of the accuracy of the resulting theory. I think you can show that curved spacetime is a necessity if you start out with some other basic assumptions like the equivalence principle, though, but those other assumptions have to be taken as given.

As for the second question, if you found the diagram A.T. posted useful, I remember A.T. posted a bunch more diagrams based on the "curved time" visualization in post #4 of this thread, so you may want to take a look at those links.

staballoy said:
The diagram from the link offered above (http://www.physics.ucla.edu/demoweb...alence_and_general_relativity/curved_time.gif) helps a bit. If I understand correctly, the passage through time slows the closer an object is to a another mass, but passage through space accelerates, like approaching the speed of light, where the faster an object moves through space, the slower it moves through time.
Yes but this are two different time dilation effects: 1) advancing more along the space dimensions and less along time dimension. 2) having longer distances along the time dimension to go. You can examine both in closeup here:
http://www.adamtoons.de/physics/relativity.swf

On the http://www.physics.ucla.edu/demoweb/demomanual/modern_physics/principal_of_equivalence_and_general_relativity/curved_time.gif":
The object is initially at rest in space (at the ceiling) and advances initially only along the time dimension. It advances on a straight world line because it is free falling (force free). The distances along the time dimension are bigger at the floor level, so the entire diagram is distorted. This makes the object start to advances along the spatial dimension (falling to the floor).

Imagine how a standard rectangular Newtonian space-time diagram would look like. The path of the free falling object would be a parable. Now you stretch this diagram so that the path of every free falling object becomes a straight line, and you get a diagram of curved space time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your explanations have given me my "Eureka!" moment. Thanks to all for the patient and kind explication.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. It is one of the four fundamental forces in the universe and is responsible for the attraction between objects with mass.

2. Why do things fall?

Things fall because of the force of gravity. The Earth's mass creates a gravitational pull that pulls objects towards its center. When an object is dropped, the force of gravity pulls it towards the Earth, causing it to fall.

3. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the mass of an object creating a curvature in space-time, which then causes objects to move towards each other. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull will be.

4. Why do objects with different masses fall at the same rate?

Objects with different masses fall at the same rate because the acceleration due to gravity is constant. This means that all objects, regardless of their mass, will experience the same gravitational force and accelerate towards the Earth at the same rate.

5. Can gravity be turned off or reversed?

No, gravity cannot be turned off or reversed. It is a natural force that is always present and cannot be controlled or manipulated by humans. However, the effects of gravity can be counteracted by other forces, such as thrust from a rocket or the lift from an airplane's wings.