GRE - junior fall, spring or senior fall?

In summary, the best time to take the GRE depends on individual factors and future plans. Generally, taking it in the fall of senior year allows for more time to study and potentially improve scores. Studying on the GRE Physics website is highly recommended for success on the exam.
lasymphonie
Just wondering when people would recommend to take the GRE. I'm pretty sure that I won't be applying for pure physics graduate programs (I'll probably do applied physics or a particular subset of physics), but I'll finish the coursework for the grad school track of my school's physics major in the first semester of my junior year, as well as extra electives and some grad classes in my area of specialty. I'd rather take the GRE earlier so that I can retake it (though it's expensive!), but when do people usually take it, and how much preparation is recommended? I'm not sure how much time I'll have to study over winter break as it's the only time I'll go home that year...

Physics news on Phys.org
take it later

This depends a lot on a variety of factors. I took it November of my senior year, but this would have been too late had I been applying to go to graduate school directly after undergrad, at least for some schools. I think the October test is in time. I studied for a couple weeks, this is an extremely useful site - http://grephysics.net/ans/ - it has all the released tests, plus a discussion of different ways to solve each problem. In pretty much every case, there are ways to find the answer even if you don't know the physics. I guess you probably know about this already.
Anyway, I think Fall of senior year would be best, if you think you can spare the time from applying to graduate school to study for the test. My friend took it the spring before, and though we were pretty equal academically (if he wasn't a bit better) I scored 100 points higher. That might have been a fluke, though. But all the physics majors that took it in the fall seemed to score higher than those who took it in the spring.

Either way, studying on that site is a lot more important than when you take it.

1. What is the GRE and why is it important for junior fall, spring, or senior fall?

The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test that is often required for admission into graduate school programs. It is important for junior fall, spring, or senior fall because it allows students to demonstrate their knowledge and skills in areas relevant to their intended field of study.

2. When should I take the GRE - junior fall, spring, or senior fall?

It is recommended to take the GRE at least a year before applying to graduate school, so junior fall, spring, or senior fall are all appropriate times to take the exam. However, it is important to check with the specific graduate programs you are interested in to determine their application deadlines and recommended GRE test dates.

3. How should I prepare for the GRE - junior fall, spring, or senior fall?

Preparation for the GRE can vary depending on individual strengths and weaknesses, but some general tips include studying regularly, familiarizing yourself with the format and content of the exam, and taking practice tests. You may also want to consider using study materials or taking a prep course.

4. What is a good GRE score for junior fall, spring, or senior fall?

The scoring for the GRE can be a bit complex, as it is divided into three sections: verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing. Typically, a score in the 50th percentile or above is considered a good score. However, the average scores for different graduate programs can vary, so it is important to research the average scores for the programs you are interested in.

5. Can I retake the GRE in junior fall, spring, or senior fall if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the GRE if you are not satisfied with your score. However, there are certain restrictions on how often you can retake the exam, so it is important to plan and prepare for your desired test date. Additionally, some graduate programs may take an average of your multiple GRE scores, so it is important to research the policies of the programs you are interested in.