Grad school with no Physics GRE but research experience?

In summary, the GRE costs $350 and it is not accepted this year because of the pandemic. Additionally, many astronomy programs have dropped the physics GRE. This hurts students from small schools and those from large programs, but helps students from large schools. The average application for grad school is around $85, and 350/85 is about 4.
Vitani1
Due to not having any money after financial aid this semester (also covid, no job, etc.) I don't have money to afford to take the physics GRE. I do however work in a lab as a research assistant and have research experience. I'd like to get into a school for astrophysics potentially. Any recommendations? I'm thinking of noting my financial constraints on my graduate application in regards to the GRE. I found that in order to take this it would be upwards of $350. By recommendations I mean in specific schools that have a good ranking for astrophysics/physics but do not require the physics GRE. Of course I have taken the general GRE. (P.S. Note to admin... sorry, this will look similar to another post.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Vitani1 said:
I found that in order to take this it would be upwards of $350.
Where did you get this price from?

From the GRE website:

https://www.ets.org/gre/subject/faq/

1598056057691.png

The test itself is a modest $150 but travelling/hotel cost for the weekend (I can not take this in my home town) will put me at this price.

First, the GRE offers fee reduction. You should look into this.

Next, if you would rather have $350 in your pocket than go to the best possible school for you, I question whether you have you priorities straight.

Furthermore, in your last thread on "where should I go to grad school" you bailed on the people who were trying to help you. Now you're starting a new thread. People might wonder how serious you are about grad school.

Likes berkeman
I don't necessarily mind what people think but I don't have enough money to live etc. if I do this so I'm trying to be frugal this upcoming semester and utilize resources available to me for a lower cost. I will look into free reduction as I didn't know about this feature. Thank you!

Many programs have made all GRE scores optional or are not accepting scores at all this year due to the pandemic.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
In addition many astronomy programs have ditched the PGRE all together.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
There are pros and cons of ditching the PGRE. Who does this hurt? Students from small LAC's (and HBCUs) where it's not easy to match grades with attainment. An admissions committee knows what an A at MIT means, and what an A at Brown means. They may not know what an A at Transylvania University (a real place!) means. Who does this help? Students from large programs at R1's.

It does not sound like the OP is an a place where this will help him very much.

Furthermore, the average application for grad school is somewhere around $85. 350/85 is about 4. I would say that is on the low end of the number of applications needed, and in some circumstances, the very low end.

Last edited:
I'm trying to swing at least 5 graduate applications in Fall and a part time job. Thank you for the information!

1. Can I get into a graduate program without taking the Physics GRE?

Yes, it is possible to get into a graduate program without taking the Physics GRE. Many graduate programs have shifted their focus away from standardized test scores and place more emphasis on research experience and letters of recommendation.

2. Will not taking the Physics GRE hurt my chances of being accepted into a graduate program?

Not necessarily. While some programs may require the Physics GRE, others may not consider it as heavily in their admissions process. If you have a strong research background and good letters of recommendation, it is possible to still be accepted into a program without taking the Physics GRE.

3. How important is research experience in the absence of a Physics GRE score?

Research experience is very important in the admissions process for graduate programs in physics. It shows that you have practical knowledge and skills in the field, and can also demonstrate your passion and dedication to the subject.

4. Will my lack of a Physics GRE score affect my chances of receiving funding or scholarships?

It is possible that not having a Physics GRE score may affect your chances of receiving funding or scholarships, as some institutions may require it for consideration. However, if you have strong research experience and a strong application overall, you may still be eligible for funding opportunities.

5. Are there any other ways to demonstrate my knowledge and skills in physics besides the Physics GRE?

Yes, there are other ways to demonstrate your knowledge and skills in physics. You can showcase your research experience, academic achievements, and relevant coursework in your application. Additionally, you can also participate in physics-related extracurricular activities or take relevant online courses to supplement your application.