1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Greatest Moduli Complex Number Solution of Equation

1. Feb 25, 2012 #1
    I would very much appreciate any help with this problem.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the greatest value of the moduli of the complex numbers [itex]z[/itex] satisfying the equation

[itex]|[/itex][itex]z[/itex] - [itex]\frac{4}{z}[/itex][itex]|[/itex] = 2

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried letting [itex]z[/itex] = [itex]a+bi[/itex] and going from there, but I ended up with this really large equation:

[itex]\left(\frac{a\left(a^{2} + b^{2} - 4\right)}{a^{2} + b^{2}}\right)^{2} + \left(\frac{b\left(a^{2} + b^{2} + 4\right)}{a^{2} + b^{2}}\right)^{2}[/itex] = 4

and I don't know how to simplify it. And even if I did simplify it, I don't know how I would find the greatest value of the moduli of [itex]z[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2
    Okay so nobody commented (maybe I posted it in the wrong place) but I have since found a solution and thought I would post it, in case anyone got curious:

Using the triangle inequality:
    [itex]\left|z\right| - \left|\frac{4}{z}\right| ≤ \left|z - \frac{4}{z}\right|[/itex]
    ∴ [itex]\left|z\right| - \left|\frac{4}{z}\right| ≤ 2[/itex]
    i.e. [itex]\left|z\right|^{2} - 2\left|z\right| - 4 ≤ 0[/itex]
    i.e. [itex]\left(\left|z\right| - 1\right)^{2} ≤ 5[/itex]
    i.e. [itex]\left|z\right| ≤ \sqrt{5} + 1[/itex]

So the largest value of the modulus of [itex]z[/itex] is [itex]\sqrt{5} + 1[/itex]

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You would have to maximize [itex]a^2 + b^2[/itex], subject to a, b being restricted by your equation above. That problem involves calculus (at the level of Calculus II). A somewhat easier way is to look at z and 1/z in the (x,y) plane, using polar coordinates:
    [tex] z = r \cos(\theta) + i r \sin(\theta), \; \frac{4}{z} = \frac{4}{r}\cos(\theta) - i \frac{4}{r} \sin(\theta),[/tex] so
    [tex] |z - 4/z|^2 = \left(r - \frac{4}{r}\right)^2 \cos^2(\theta) +
    \left( r + \frac{4}{r}\right)^2 \sin^2(\theta) = 4. [/tex]
    We want the largest r for which there will be a θ that solves that equation. By setting up the Lagrange multiplier problem we find that either θ = 0 or θ = π/2. When we try θ = π/2 we find there is no real value of r that works. Therefore, we must have θ = 0; that is, z must lie on the positive x-axis. Now the problem becomes one of solving the equation x - 4/x = 2, from which we find x = sqrt(5) + 1, as you gave.

Your solution was OK, but it overlooked one important consideration: you need to know that it is possible to find z in which your triangle inequality becomes an equality. Of course, that is true if we take z = x + i*0 with x = sqrt(5)+1, because in that case z - 4/z = x - 4/x = 2 exactly.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook