Green's Function in the wave equation

In summary: The Green function for the three dimensional wave equation is defined by,\left ( \nabla^2 - \frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2} \right ) G(\vec r, t) = \delta(\vec r) \delta(t)The solution is,G(\vec r, t) = -\frac{1}{4 \pi r} \delta\left ( t - \frac{r}{c} \right )Here r = |r|. Use this Green function to find f(r, t) for all r and t, where f is a solution to
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The Green function for the three dimensional wave equation is defined by,

[tex]\left ( \nabla^2 - \frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2} \right ) G(\vec r, t) = \delta(\vec r) \delta(t)[/tex]

The solution is,

[tex]G(\vec r, t) = -\frac{1}{4 \pi r} \delta\left ( t - \frac{r}{c} \right )[/tex]

Here r = |r|. Use this Green function to find f(r, t) for all r and t, where f is a solution to the inhomogenous wave equation:

[tex]\left ( \nabla^2 - \frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2} \right ) f(\vec r,t) = Ae^{- \alpha r^2} \delta (t)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor did not go over this nearly at all. I need a significant amount of help getting started.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The general theory of Green functions states that, given a differential operator [tex]\cal{D}_{\mathbf{x}}[/tex], the solutions [tex]\phi(\mathbf{x})[/tex] to the inhomogenous equation

[tex] {\cal D}_{\mathbf{x}} \phi(\mathbf{x}) = j(\mathbf{x}) [/tex]

are given by

[tex] \phi(\mathbf{x}) = \int d\mathbf{x}' ~ G( \mathbf{x},\mathbf{x}') j(\mathbf{x}'), [/tex]

where the Green function [tex]G( \mathbf{x},\mathbf{x}')[/tex] is the solution to the equation

[tex] {\cal D}_{\mathbf{x}} G( \mathbf{x},\mathbf{x}') = \delta(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}'). [/tex]

This is covered in just about any math methods text, as well as most EM and QM texts.

Yes, I found some information in both Jackson's EM and a math methods book. However, the wave equations they solve are in different forms. I can't find any information anywhere about there being an exponential on the right hand side.

Also, this page derives the solution that is given to me in the problem,

http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/Class/phy319/phy319/node75.html

But what can I do with the exponential on the RHS?

The geometry of the problem offers the fact that, [itex]r^2 = r_0^2 -(ct)^2 - 2rct cos \theta [/itex]

Last edited:
Everything on the RHS of the inhomogeneous equation is the current j(x). I haven't checked how tricky the integration is to do though.

Ok, so I have to evaluate the integral,

[tex] f(\vec r, t) = \int \int G(r', t') j(r') d^3r' dt' = -\frac{A}{4 \pi}\int \int \frac{e^{- \alpha r'^2}}{r'} \delta\left ( t' - \frac{r'}{c} \right ) \delta (t') d^3r' dt'[/tex]

(Why is the convention in several disciplines to put the dr term in front? I've noticed this a lot recently)

Last edited:
There is a time integration. In my notation [tex]\mathbf{x} = (t,\vec{x})[/tex]. You can also see the time integration in the very last equation on that Duke U page that you linked. The appropriate form of the Green function is (11.63) on that page. Whoever wrote this problem up didn't bother to use a notation where it's clear that the Green function depends on a pair of coordinates: G(x,t,x',t'). The expressions that you wrote need to be modified accordingly.

My professor is lazy and always just takes x'=t'=x0=t0=0. In fact, that page I linked is what he handed out to us, and was all the info I had until I looked in textbooks from other classes. At any rate, it is crucial that i finish this problem tonight, what process should I follow to evaluate the integral?

Should I find the Fourier transforms of the delta functions to remove time dependence?

kreil said:
My professor is lazy and always just takes x'=t'=x0=t0=0. In fact, that page I linked is what he handed out to us, and was all the info I had until I looked in textbooks from other classes. At any rate, it is crucial that i finish this problem tonight, what process should I follow to evaluate the integral?

Should I find the Fourier transforms of the delta functions to remove time dependence?

No, I realized that you have two delta functions, one in the Green function and one in the current. Those completely fix the r' and t' integrals, so you'll just have a trivial angular integral to do. You should just be able to take G(r-r', t-t'), but you can double-check your expression with the formulas on that page.

The angular integrals just give a factor of 4pi and an [itex]r'^2[/itex]. The first delta function blows up at r' = ct', but the second at t'=0, so do I just evaluate the function for r'=ct'? Something doesn't feel right about evaluating the first delta function with r'=ct' since it has a t' term in it as well, and we are also integrating with respect to that.

Last edited:
No, I told you to look at 11.63 for the proper expression for the Green function. The delta function that appears is

[tex]\delta\left( t -t' - \frac{|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}{c}\right).[/tex]

I probably mispoke before when I said that this would fix the r' integration, since [tex]|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|\neq r -r' [/tex]. However it might still work out that way because of the spherical symmetry of the current. In any case, the t' integration should be fixed by the [tex]\delta(t')[/tex] factor.

1. What is a Green's function in the wave equation?

A Green's function in the wave equation is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations in physics and engineering. It represents the response of a system to an impulse, or a delta function, at a specific point in space and time.

2. How is a Green's function used in the wave equation?

A Green's function is used to find the solution to a differential equation by convolving it with a source function. This helps to break down a complex problem into simpler parts and allows for the solution to be found at any point in space and time.

3. What are the properties of a Green's function in the wave equation?

A Green's function must satisfy certain properties, such as being symmetric, continuous, and vanishing at infinity. It should also be unique and have a well-defined boundary condition. These properties ensure that the solution obtained using the Green's function is physically meaningful.

4. How is a Green's function in the wave equation derived?

A Green's function can be derived using various methods, such as the method of images, separation of variables, or integral transform techniques. The specific method used depends on the type of differential equation being solved and the boundary conditions of the problem.

5. What are some applications of a Green's function in the wave equation?

Green's functions are used in various fields of physics and engineering, such as electromagnetics, acoustics, and heat transfer. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving waves, such as the propagation of sound or electromagnetic signals, and the distribution of heat in a system.