Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's Theorem Integration Question

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1
    Here's the question:

So using Green's Theorem, I got that the integral is equal to

[itex]\int_{C}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(-e^xsiny) - \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(e^xcosy)dxdy = 0[/itex].

But surely the answer can't be 0? What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I assume that by "where A= (ln(2), 0) to D= (0, 1) and then from D to B= (-ln(2), 0)" you mean that C is the line from A to D, followed by the line from D to B.

Yes, by Green's theorem, the integral of that function, around the closed path, "A to D to B to A" is 0. But the problem only asks you to integrate for A to D to B, NOT back to A.

The point of the hint is that, since the integral around the closed path is 0, the integral "from A to D to B" must be the negative of the integral from B to A and so equal to the integral from A to B. You will still need to find the path integral from A= (ln 2, 0) to B= (-ln 2, 0) directly. Since y= 0 on that path, it should be relatively easy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook