Greens theorem-is this along the right line

• Thread starter gtfitzpatrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
The region of integration is shown in green. The line integrals are shown in red.In summary, the line integrals in both parts (a) and (b) are evaluated using Green's theorem by finding the appropriate partial derivatives and setting up the double integral with the given limits of integration. The final answer for both parts is 0, as the region enclosed by the two given curves is symmetric and the integrands have opposite signs.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

Cis the boundary of the region given by curves [itex]y = x^{2}[/itex] and y=x use Greens theorem to evaluate the following line integrals.
a) [itex]\oint(6xy-y^2 )dx[/itex]
b) [itex]\oint(6xy-y^2 )dy[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so greens theorem states [itex]\oint Mdx + Ndy = \int\int \frac{\partial N}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial M}{\partial y} dxdy[/itex]

so for (a) M=6xy-[itex]y^2[/itex] N=0
The 2 curves intersect at (1,1)

so [itex]\oint (6xy-y^2)dx = \int^{1}_{0} \int^{x^2}_{x} (6x-2y) dydx[/itex]
=[itex]\int^{1}_{0} -x^4 + 6x^3 -7x^2 dx[/itex]
=[itex]\frac{-31}{30}[/itex]

and for (b) N=6xy-[itex]y^2[/itex] M=0
The 2 curves intersect at (1,1)

so [itex]\oint (6xy-y^2)dy = \int^{1}_{0} \int^{x^2}_{x} (6y-2y)dydx[/itex]
=[itex]\int^{1}_{0} 2x^4 - 2x^2 dx[/itex]
=[itex]\frac{-4}{15}[/itex]

am i doing this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Always sketch the graph, to know the boundary of the region enclosed by the two curves. Check the attachment.

First, describe the region enclosed by the two curves (let's call it, region R).

For x fixed, y varies from ##y = x^2## to ##y= x##
x varies from x = 0 to x = 1

Let's consider part (a). You have correctly recognized terms M and N. Now, you need to find:
$$\iint_R \frac{\partial N}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial M}{\partial y} dxdy=\iint_R 0 - \frac{\partial M}{\partial y} dxdy=-\iint_R \frac{\partial M}{\partial y} dxdy$$
Set the limits:$$-\int_0^1 \int_{x^2}^x \frac{\partial M}{\partial y} dydx$$
You have to find: $$\frac{\partial M}{\partial y}=6x-2y$$
Thus, you get:$$-\int_0^1 \int_{x^2}^x (6x-2y) dydx=-\frac{11}{30}$$
Now, you should be able to do part (b).

Attachments

• plot.png
    plot.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Thanks sharks,
i think that cleared up a few things.
When i am doing part B do the limits change?as in...

[itex]\int_0^1 \int_{y}^{\sqrt{y}} (6y) dxdy [/itex]

or do i keep the same limits?

gtfitzpatrick said:
When i am doing part B do the limits change?as in...

[itex]\int_0^1 \int_{y}^{\sqrt{y}} (6y) dxdy [/itex]

or do i keep the same limits?

Since the region of integration remains unchanged, you can use the same limits as in part (a).

Alternatively, you could also have defined the limits as:
$$\int_0^1 \int_{x^2}^x (6y) dydx$$but the answer should be the same.

Thanks sharks,I did it out both ways and got the same answer [itex]\frac{2}{5}[/itex]

I have a similar question...

[itex]\oint (x^2 y)dx + (y+xy^2) dy [/itex] between the curves [itex]y=x^2 [/itex] and [itex] x=y^2 [/itex]

i sketched out the region and it very similar to the above question.

so from green theorem i get [itex]\int^{1}_{0} \int^{\sqrt{x}}_{x^2} y^2 - x^2 dydx[/itex] which when i do it out i get 0. but from my sketch its not 0. am i taking the wrong limits?i've done it out 2 times. and got the same answer

[itex] \int^{1}_{0} \int^{\sqrt{x}}_{x^2} (y^2 - x^2) dydx [/itex]

[itex] \int^{1}_{0} (\frac{1}{3} y^3 - x^2 y)^\sqrt{x}_{x^2} dx [/itex]

[itex] \int^{1}_{0} (\frac{1}{3} x^{\frac{3}{2}} - x^{\frac{5}{2}} - \frac{1}{3}x^6 + x^4 dx [/itex]

= [itex] (\frac{2}{15}x^{\frac{5}{2}} - \frac{2}{7}x^{\frac{7}{2}} - \frac{1}{21}x^{7} + \frac{1}{5}x^{5})^{1}_{0} [/itex]

which works as zero...this can't be right?

The answer is indeed 0. See the two attachments.

Attachments

• plot.png
    plot.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 391
  • plot2.png
    plot2.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:

1. What is Greens theorem and what is its significance?

Green's theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field over a closed curve to the double integral of the curl of the vector field over the region enclosed by the curve. It is significant because it provides a useful tool for solving various problems in physics and engineering, particularly in the field of fluid dynamics.

2. How is Greens theorem different from other theorems in mathematics?

Green's theorem is unique in that it is specifically used to evaluate line integrals and double integrals involving vector fields. Other theorems in mathematics may focus on different types of integrals or have different applications.

3. Can Greens theorem be applied to any type of vector field?

Yes, Green's theorem can be applied to any type of vector field, as long as the vector field is defined and continuous over the region enclosed by the curve in question.

4. What are the practical applications of Greens theorem?

Green's theorem has many practical applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the work done by a force field, finding the circulation of a fluid, and solving problems related to heat transfer and electromagnetic fields.

5. How is Greens theorem used in real-world problems?

Green's theorem is often used in real-world problems to simplify calculations and solve complex integrals involving vector fields. It can also be used to prove various theorems in physics and engineering, such as the Kelvin-Stokes theorem and the divergence theorem.