GRG 18-the 18th int. conf. on General Relativity and Gravitation (Sydney 2007)

In summary, the 18th international conference on General Relativity and Gravitation will be held in Sydney, Australia from 8-14 July 2007. The conference will feature 15 plenary talks, 2 workshops, and the attendance of Renate Loll and Laurent Freidel.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
GRG 18---the 18th int. conf. on General Relativity and Gravitation (Sydney 2007)

http://www.grg18.com/

I have very little information. If someone has some QG paper they might think about presenting it at GRG, Sydney Australia.

the dates are 8-14 July 2007

maybe Kea knows something since she is in the Other hemisphere.

Renate Loll is planning to be there and give one of the invited talks

Physics news on Phys.org
marcus said:
maybe Kea knows something since she is in the Other hemisphere

Sorry, Marcus. Don't know anything about the organisation of this conference.

I had a look at the preliminary website. It doesn't even say which local academics are involved in this. The conference is to be held in the very large facility in the centre of the city - that means very expensive.

Last edited:
no problem. it is more than half a year off and it may be mostly classical GR

here is HyperSpace newsletter
http://www.maths.qmul.ac.uk/hyperspace/conference/index.html [Broken]

it has an announcement from Susan Scott
http://www.maths.qmul.ac.uk/hyperspace/conference/06Oct.2.html [Broken]
who claims to be a chair
and indeed styles herself "chair of the organizing committee"

the email
susan.scott@anu.edu.au
suggests her seat is at Oz National Uni

Last edited by a moderator:
marcus said:
Susan Scott [..]
who claims to be a chair
and indeed styles herself "chair of the organizing committee" [emphasis added]

Um.. that's a very funny thing to say, not sure what you're implying there about, well, my supervisor.

Anyway, was just googling for the conference webpage, and of all things this thread is what came up! And in "beyond the standard model"?

Last edited:
cesiumfrog said:
Anyway, was just googling for the conference...

Hi cesiumfrog! Not long until the conference now. I should be there, so I'll guess we'll meet.

:smile:

I can only acknowledge belatedly that your thesis advisor Susan Scott has done a marvelous job.

Bojowald and Ashtekar will be there. Bojowald will help run two workshops: one on QG of black holes, one on QG of big bang.
Renate Loll and Laurent Freidel are scheduled to give two of the 15 plenary talks.

(Roger Penrose and Kip Thorne will be giving the two public lectures, but that is less exciting to me than some of the talks scheduled in the conference itself)

Don Marolf and Steve Giddings have registered I see. they just posted a paper which could serve as a bridge between string and non-string QG interests. I like their paper a lot. It is called "A global picture of quantum de Sitter space"
http://arxiv.org/abs/0705.1178

Something I like about this conference is connected to how I feel about Australia---it is very simple: lower population density. Individuals stand out more.

It matters to me that major non-string QG people will be there giving plenary one-hour talks and holding workshops---reporting on recent progress in QG.
And it makes a difference to see that they won't be lost in a huge mob.

Kea was worried earlier that it might be extremely expensive to register, but maybe it wasn't, or she got some student deal. Because she is going to be there.

Looking good! my regards to the Chair:biggrin:

1. What is the main focus of the GRG 18 conference?

The GRG 18 conference is focused on discussing and exploring recent developments and advancements in the fields of general relativity and gravitation. This includes topics such as black holes, gravitational waves, and cosmology.

2. Who typically attends the GRG 18 conference?

The conference is open to all scientists, researchers, and students who have an interest in general relativity and gravitation. Attendees can range from established experts in the field to graduate students and postdoctoral researchers.

3. What is the significance of the number 18 in the conference title?

The number 18 in the conference title represents the 18th occurrence of this particular conference. It is held every three years and has been a major event in the field of general relativity and gravitation since its inception in 1957.

4. What types of presentations and discussions can be expected at the GRG 18 conference?

The conference typically includes plenary talks, parallel sessions, and poster presentations. These presentations cover a wide range of topics within the field, allowing for a diverse and comprehensive discussion of current research and developments.

5. How can I participate in the GRG 18 conference?

To participate in the conference, you can submit an abstract for a presentation or poster, or simply register as an attendee. Registration typically opens several months before the conference and can be done online through the conference website.