Griffiths' revolutions in 20th century physics

In summary, the conversation is about finding a suitable book to introduce quantum physics topics in preparation for studying Griffiths' quantum mechanics book. The individual asking the question is considering "Revolution in 20th Century Physics" as a potential book, but is open to suggestions. They are also looking for a book that covers topics not included in Griffiths' book, such as failures in classical physics, black body radiation, photoelectric effect, Compton effect, De Broglie relationship, and Bohr's quantized atom. The responder suggests learning the mathematics of quantum mechanics as there is no other way to truly understand it, but recommends an Amazon book that simplifies the mathematical concepts. They also mention their own insights article on the photoelectric
almarpa
hello all

Prior to my studies in QM I would need a brief intro to quantum physics.

I know there are lot of books on modern physics that cover these topics, but really like Griffiths' style, and my QM textbook is precisely his QM book. So, my question is if "revolutions in 20th century physics" textbooks is an appropiate book to get the basis about quantum physics and get prepared to follow with Griffiths' quantum mechanics book.

Thank you all for your help.

Best regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know this book. To learn quantum mechanics there's no other way than to learn the mathematics. QM is simply not adequately expressible in everyday language. A great book, which makes this step as simple as possible (but not simpler!) is

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465062903/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply.

Nevertheless, I am not looking for a book on quantum mechanics (I have almost decided that I will use Griffiths' quantum mechanics book), but a book that introduces quantum physics topics, such as failures in classicla physics, black body radiation, photoelectric effect, Compton effect, De Broglie relationship, Bohr's quantied atom, and so on.

I mean, what I need is a brief introduction to the quantum physics topics that are not covered in Griffiths' quantum mechanics book (a kind of introduction to Griffiths' QM textbook).

However, I will take a look to the book you have suggested. Maybe it is a good candidate to be used instead Griffiths' book. (Or maybe it is a good introduction prior to Shankar's QM books, instead of Griffiths' QM textbook).

Regards.

Last edited:

1. What were the key ideas behind Griffiths' revolutions in 20th century physics?

Griffiths' revolutions in 20th century physics were centered around two main ideas: quantum mechanics and particle physics. These ideas revolutionized our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe and how they interact with each other.

2. How did Griffiths' work contribute to our understanding of quantum mechanics?

Griffiths' work helped to bridge the gap between classical and quantum mechanics by introducing the concept of wave-particle duality. He also developed a mathematical framework for describing quantum systems, known as quantum mechanics.

3. What impact did Griffiths' revolutions have on modern technology?

Griffiths' revolutions in 20th century physics have had a profound impact on modern technology. The principles of quantum mechanics have led to the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computers, while particle physics has contributed to advancements in fields such as medical imaging and nuclear energy.

4. What were some of the challenges faced by Griffiths in his research?

Griffiths faced numerous challenges in his research, including developing new mathematical methods to describe quantum systems and reconciling conflicting theories in particle physics. He also had to navigate the complex and ever-evolving field of quantum mechanics, which was met with skepticism and resistance from some scientists.

5. How did Griffiths' revolutions impact the field of physics as a whole?

Griffiths' revolutions in 20th century physics have had a lasting impact on the field as a whole. His contributions to quantum mechanics and particle physics have significantly advanced our understanding of the universe and have inspired further research and discoveries in these areas. His work continues to be studied and built upon by scientists today.