Griffiths' revolutions in 20th century physics

hello all

Prior to my studies in QM I would need a brief intro to quantum physics.

I know there are lot of books on modern physics that cover these topics, but really like Griffiths' style, and my QM textbook is precisely his QM book. So, my question is if "revolutions in 20th century physics" textbooks is an appropiate book to get the basis about quantum physics and get prepared to follow with Griffiths' quantum mechanics book.

Thank you all for your help.

Best regards.

Answers and Replies

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I don't know this book. To learn quantum mechanics there's no other way than to learn the mathematics. QM is simply not adequately expressible in everyday language. A great book, which makes this step as simple as possible (but not simpler!) is

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465062903/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply.

Nevertheless, I am not looking for a book on quantum mechanics (I have almost decided that I will use Griffiths' quantum mechanics book), but a book that introduces quantum physics topics, such as failures in classicla physics, black body radiation, photoelectric effect, Compton effect, De Broglie relationship, Bohr's quantied atom, and so on.

I mean, what I need is a brief introduction to the quantum physics topics that are not covered in Griffiths' quantum mechanics book (a kind of introduction to Griffiths' QM textbook).

However, I will take a look to the book you have suggested. Maybe it is a good candidate to be used instead Griffiths' book. (Or maybe it is a good introduction prior to Shankar's QM books, instead of Griffiths' QM textbook).

Regards.

Last edited: