Topics in Young & Friedman's University Physics

In summary, the person is working through a book called University Physics by Young & Freedman and is wondering if they can branch out into more advanced textbooks while still working on the introductory book. They are specifically interested in focusing on one topic at a time and want to know if the University Physics textbook would provide enough background for them to explore each topic in depth. They clarify that they are only talking about physics prerequisites and not math prerequisites. They appreciate any responses, especially from those who have read the textbooks. The suggested order for studying would be mechanics, electromagnetism, and then quantum mechanics. They also suggest looking at the classical wave equation and special relativity after finishing the sections on mechanics and electromagnetism.
bigmike94
I am working through the wonderful book called University physics by Young & Freedman, it’s seems like a thorough introductory textbook. My question is, instead of waiting till the end of the book to branch out into more advanced textbook that focus on mostly one topic for example classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics etc.

Would the book give me a good enough background to explore each topic in depth once I finish that chapter, given that I match the maths prerequisites. For example. Once I finish introductory mechanics and Newton’s laws Instead of moving on to the next chapter id like to start Taylor’s classical mechanics, another example would be once I finish the chapters on electromagnetism, could I pick up and get through Griffith’s electrodynamics. Same with the chapters on quantum mechanics in the university physics textbook. Would this be enough to give me the physics prerequisites for Griffiths intro to quantum mechanics.

I ask this because I would rather stick to one topic at a time and really hit it hard before moving on. I don’t want to forget a lot of the stuff I’ve learned that would have been a required prerequisite for the more advanced textbooks.

Please remember I am talking about physics prerequisites here not maths, I have always kept my maths way ahead of physics to make certain it can’t get in the way.

I would appreciate any response especially for those who have read the textbooks.

thank you!

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you could do it. I would do them in the following order: mechanics, e&m, quantum. I would suggest looking at the classical wave equation after Young:mechanics and special relativity after Young:e&m.

Likes vanhees71, PhDeezNutz and bigmike94

1. What is the main focus of "Topics in Young & Friedman's University Physics"?

The main focus of this book is to provide a comprehensive introduction to the fundamental concepts and principles of physics, with an emphasis on problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in physics?

Yes, this book is designed for students with little to no background in physics. It starts with basic concepts and gradually builds upon them, making it accessible for beginners.

3. How is this book different from other physics textbooks?

This book stands out for its clear and concise explanations, numerous real-world examples, and extensive problem sets with solutions. It also includes interactive online resources, such as simulations and practice quizzes, to enhance the learning experience.

4. Are the topics covered in this book relevant to current research in physics?

Yes, this book covers a wide range of topics that are relevant to current research in physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. It also includes discussions on recent advancements and applications of these concepts.

5. Can this book be used for self-study or is it better suited for classroom use?

This book can be used for both self-study and classroom use. It provides clear explanations and examples, making it suitable for independent learning. However, it also includes exercises and problems that can be used for in-class discussions and assessments.