Grindstone and kinetic friction problem

In summary, the grindstone, with a diameter of .52m and a mass of 50 kg, is rotating at 850 rev/min. When an ax is pressed against the rim with a normal force of 160 N, the grindstone comes to a rest in 7.5 seconds. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ax and the grindstone can be found using the work energy relationship. After calculations, the coefficient is found to be .380, which is slightly different from the given answer of .482. Possible sources of error could be the calculation of the average angular velocity and distance traveled.
armolinasf

Homework Statement

A grindstone in the shape of a solid disk with diameter .52m and mass 50 kg is rotating at 850 rev/min. You press an ax against the rim with a normal force of 160 N and the grindstone comes to a rest in 7.5 seconds. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction of the ax on the grindstone.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the friction causes the grindstone to come to a stop, then the initial kinetic energy of the grindstone must equal the negative of the work done by friction. And the force of friction is given by the coefficient of friction, k , times the normal force, n, so the work done will be that force times the distance x.

Using the work energy theorem for the grindstone we would get W=-.5Iv^2, where I is the moment of inertia and v is its initial speed.

I=MR^2/2=(50*.26^2)/2=1.69 kgm^2
v=850 rev/min=89rad/sec
x=89(7.5)(2pi.26)=1090 m

knx=-.5Iv^2
k=(.5Iv^2)/nx
k=(.5)(1.69)(89^2)/(160)(1090)=.038

This is obviously wrong and it doesn't match the answer of.482 given by my text, but where am I going wrong? Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity will not be constant over the 7.5 seconds that the axe is in contact with the grindstone. So your "distance" figure, based upon total revolutions of the circumference, will not be accurate.

A shortcut: With a constant force, the deceleration will be constant and so the angular velocity decreases linearly. That means that the average angular velocity will be the simple average of the beginning and ending angular velocities: [itex](850+ 0)/2= 425[/itex].
revolutions per second.

(I can see no reason to divide by [itex]2\pi[/itex] to convert "revolutions per second" to "radians per second" when you then multiply by [itex]2\pi[/tex] to find the circumference of the wheel.)

Ok so I could still use the work energy relationship to find k. The distance would then be the average angular velocity times r, or x=110.5. Using this i get a more reasonable answer of .380 but still not the .482 in my book...

armolinasf said:
Ok so I could still use the work energy relationship to find k. The distance would then be the average angular velocity times r, or x=110.5. Using this i get a more reasonable answer of .380 but still not the .482 in my book...

Your value for x looks suspect. Can you show your calculation?

It was suspect...so average angular velocity is 425 rev/min/60sec=(7.08 rev/sec).26=1.84 m/sec. 1.84*7.5sec=13.81 meters.

Using this value for x i get k=3.03

armolinasf said:
It was suspect...so average angular velocity is 425 rev/min/60sec=(7.08 rev/sec).26=1.84 m/sec. 1.84*7.5sec=13.81 meters.

Using this value for x i get k=3.03

(425 rev/min) * (1 min / 60 sec) * (2pi rad/rev) * (0.26 m) = 11.57 m/sec

1. What is a grindstone and how does it relate to kinetic friction?

A grindstone is a rotating disc made of abrasive material used for sharpening or grinding tools. In the context of kinetic friction, a grindstone can represent a surface with high friction, where two objects in contact would experience a resistance to motion due to the roughness of the surface.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces in contact when they are in relative motion. It is usually less than static friction, which is the force that prevents two surfaces from sliding against each other when they are at rest.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of kinetic friction?

The magnitude of kinetic friction depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the relative velocity between the surfaces. It also depends on the roughness and temperature of the surfaces.

4. How can I calculate the kinetic friction force in a grindstone problem?

To calculate the kinetic friction force, you need to know the coefficient of kinetic friction, which is a measure of the roughness of the surfaces in contact. You also need to know the normal force and the relative velocity between the surfaces. The formula for kinetic friction force is Fk = μkN, where μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction and N is the normal force.

5. Can kinetic friction be reduced or eliminated in a grindstone problem?

Kinetic friction cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced by using lubricants or by making the surfaces smoother. In a grindstone problem, using a lubricant or choosing a grindstone with a smoother surface can reduce the kinetic friction and make the grinding process more efficient.