1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and angular accelerationfinding coeff. of friction

1. Nov 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem states: grindstone in shape of solid disk with diameter .52m and mass 52 kg rotates at 850 rev/min. You press an ax against the rim with normal force 160 N and grindstone comes to rest in 7.5 s. Find coefficient of friction between ax and grindstone.

2. Relevant equations

The sum of all torques t = I*alpha (angular accel). = alpha*mass*radius^2
    avg.angular.accel = (change in angular velocity)/(change in time)
    850 rpm = 89 rad/s

3. The attempt at a solution

Using Newton's second law I get the sum of external forces = m*a(tangential) = m*r*alpha = (mu)_k*n
    (mu)_k = (mass*radius*alpha)/n = 0.964

The answer in the book is half of the answer I got, 0.482. Where did I miss this? Thanks so much =)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2009 #2
    Easy, it seems like your moment of inertia is wrong. If I'm not mistaken you're currently using I=MR^2. Which is the moment of inertia for a thin hoop, not a disk.

A disk has the moment of inertia I= (MR^2)/2.... half of what you're using =)

4. Nov 29, 2009 #3
    Thanks, that was a silly mistake.
    I feel completely stupid asking this now but i returned to the question and I don't see how I was using moment of inertia to answer my question.
    It just seems that what I did was solve for ang.accel by taking the change in ang.vel. over change in time to get 11.87 rad/s. Then I equated the sum of ext.forces = f(k) = ma(tangential) = m*r*ang.accel.
    since f(k) = mu_k*n.... so mu_k = (m*r*ang.accel)/n .
    Thank you so much, I'm just having a massive mental block.

5. Nov 29, 2009 #4
    Don't worry about it, angular momentum can be a hard concept but I recommend working hard at it. It will come a lot in physics from now on =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook