Ground state of Hamiltonian describing fermions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 6K views
Morto
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have been given the Hamiltonian

[tex]H = \sum_{k} (\epsilon_k - \mu) c^{\dag} c_k[/tex]

where [tex]c_k[/tex] and [tex]c^{\dag}_k[/tex] are fermion annihilation and creation operators respectively. I need to calculate the ground state, the energy of the ground state [tex]E_0[/tex] and the derivative [tex]\frac{\delta E_0(\mu)}{\delta \mu}[/tex]. Apparently this last quantity is 'famous' and I should recognise it. However, I think that I am making some fundamental mistake quite early on.

Homework Equations



I know that
[tex]c^{\dag} c |1> = 1|1>[/tex]
and
[tex]c^{\dag}c|0>=0|0>[/tex]
So that
[tex]c^{\dag}|0> = |1>[/tex]
and
[tex]c|1> = |0>[/tex]
and
[tex]c|0>=0[/tex]
and
[tex]c^{\dag}|1> = 0[/tex]
(All of this is proven by writing these operators as matrices and multiplying by state vectors. These relations are confirmed in 'Quantum theory of solids' by Kittel)

The Attempt at a Solution


But when it comes to calculating the ground state of this Hamiltonian, I find something unusual..
[tex]H|0> = \sum_{k}\epsilon_k c_k^{\dag} c_k |0> - \mu \sum_k c_k^{\dag}c_k|0> \\<br /> = \sum_k \epsilon_k|1> - \mu|1>[/tex]
Using the first relation.
How do I now calculate the energy of this ground state?
[tex]<0|H|0> = <0|\sum_k \epsilon_k|1> - <0|\mu|1>[/tex]

What do I do with this? Have I made some fundamental error somewhere? This doesn't look right to me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For each k there are only 2 states available: |0> and |1>. For each k, write the kth term of the Hamiltonian as a 2x2 matrix, and find its eigenvalues (really easy!). The ground state corresponds to the lowest eigenvalue. The full ground state is then a tensor product of all the ground states for each k.

What you calculated is not the ground state, you just applied H to |0> and then made a mistake (why would you get a |1> in there??)
 
Okay, so the matrix representation of these operators is
[tex]c^{\dag}c = \left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

And the Hamiltonian of the kth term will be
[tex]H_k = \left(\begin{array}{cc}\epsilon_k - \mu & 0 \\ 0 & \epsilin_k - \mu\end{array}\right)[/tex]
which has only a single eigenvalue [tex]\lambda = \epsilon_k - \mu[/tex]

Is this the ground state of the kth term? [tex]\psi_0(x) = A e^{(\epsilon_k - \mu)x}[/tex]? What do I do with this?
 
Ah, yes, of course.

[tex]H_k = \epsilon_k\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&0\end{array}\right)-\mu\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&0\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}\epsilon_k - \mu&0\\0&0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

So calculating the eigenvalues
[tex]det\left(\begin{array}{cc}\epsilon_k - \mu-\lambda&0\\0&-\lambda\end{array}\right)=0[/tex]
[tex]\left(\lambda + \mu -\epsilon_k\right)\lambda = 0[/tex]
So this has eigenvalues [tex]\lambda=0, \lambda=\epsilon_k - \mu[/tex]

For the non-zero eigenvalue to be the lowest eigenvalue, then [tex]\epsilon_k - \mu < 0[/tex]. I'm not sure what this requirement means. What do I do with this?

When calculating the eigenvectors, I find that for either case then [tex]x[/tex] or [tex]y[/tex] are non-zero only when [tex]\mu=\epsilon_k[/tex], in which case the entire Hamiltonian is zero.
 
Last edited:
Yes, now we're getting somewhere! For those k for which \epsilon_k<\mu, the ground state energy is \epsilon_k-\mu and the ground state is |1>_k. For all other k's the energy is zero, and the ground state is |0>.

So, the fermions would ideally only occupy those states with \epsilon_k<\mu. Were you given a fixed number of particles or some other relation about the number of fermions?
 
Nope, I was just given that Hamiltonian and told to find the ground state, the energy of the ground state [tex]E_0[/tex] and the derivate wrt [tex]\mu[/tex], so if [tex]E_0 = \epsilon_k - \mu[/tex] then [tex]\frac{\partial E_0}{\partial \mu} = -1[/tex]. (and if [tex]E_0 = 0[/tex], then obviously the derivate is zero).

Is this a 'famous' result?
 
Ahah. Thank you for your help.

What about for the Hamiltonian
[tex]H = \sum_k \left(\epsilon_k - \mu\right) c^{\dag}_k c_k + \gamma \sum_{kp} c_k^{\dag}c_p[/tex]

Can I use the same method to determine the ground state? What does this Hamiltonian represent?