1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory

1. Dec 6, 2016 #1
    Note this isn't actually a homework problem, I am working through my textbook making sure I understand the derivation of certain equations and have become stuck on one part of a derivation.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am working through my text (Quantum Mechanics 2nd Edition by B.H Bransden & C.J Joachain) section 9.1 on Time-Dependant Perturbation Theory. Part way through their derivation they give the equation

[itex]i \hbar \sum_k \dot{c}_k (t)\psi_k^{(0)}e^{-\frac{iE_k^{(0)}t}{\hbar}}=\lambda \sum_kH'(t)c_k(t)\psi_k^{(0)}e^{-\frac{iE_k^{(0)}t}{\hbar}}[/itex]

where ##c_k## denotes the time-dependent coefficients, any factor with a ##(0)## superscript denotes a factor relating to the "unperturbed" state, ##\lambda## is just a constant (usually equal to one for physical systems) and ##H'## denotes the "perturbed" Hamiltonian.

From this equation the text states:

"Taking the scalar product with a function ##\psi_b^{(0)}## belonging to the set ##y_k^{(0)}## of unperturbed energy eigenfunctions, and using the fact that ##\langle \psi_b^{(0)} | \psi_a^{(0)} \rangle = \delta_{bk}##, we find that

[itex]\dot{c}_b (t) = i \hbar^{-1} \lambda \sum_k H'_{bk}(t)e^{i \omega_{bk} t} c_k(t)[/itex]

where ##H'_{bk}=\langle \psi_{b}^{(0)} | H' (t) | \psi_k^{(0)} \rangle## and ##\omega_{bk}=\frac{E_b^{(0)}-E_k^{(0)}}{\hbar}## is the Bohr angular frequency.

2. Relevant equations

Not sure if there are any not given really, it's mostly just rearranging everything

3. The attempt at a solution

So first I multiply both sides by ##e^{\frac{iE_k^{(0)}t}{\hbar}}## cancel it out on the L.H.S and bring all the big terms to the R.H.S giving

[itex]i \hbar \sum_k \dot{c}_k (t)\psi_k^{(0)}=\lambda \sum_k c_k(t)\psi_k^{(0)}e^{\frac{iE_k^{(0)}t}{\hbar}}H'(t)e^{-\frac{iE_k^{(0)}t}{\hbar}}[/itex]

I then change all the ##\psi_k^{(0)}## eigenfunctions to their ket representation

[itex]i \hbar \sum_k \dot{c}_k (t)| \psi_k^{(0)} \rangle=\lambda \sum_k c_k(t)e^{\frac{iE_k^{(0)}t}{\hbar}}H'(t)e^{-\frac{iE_k^{(0)}t}{\hbar}} | \psi_k^{(0)}\rangle[/itex]

I then multiply (i.e take the inner product) of the L.H.S and the R.H.S with ##\langle\psi_b^{(0)}|## giving

[itex]i \hbar \sum_k \dot{c}_k (t) \langle\psi_b^{(0)}| \psi_k^{(0)} \rangle=\lambda \sum_k c_k(t)\langle\psi_b^{(0)}|e^{\frac{iE_k^{(0)}t}{\hbar}}H'(t)e^{-\frac{iE_k^{(0)}t}{\hbar}} | \psi_k^{(0)}\rangle[/itex]

The portion of this equation that is giving me issues is how the ##k## subscript in ##\langle \psi_b^{(0)} | e^{\frac{iE_k^{(0)}t}{\hbar}}## changes to ##b## giving me ##\langle\psi_b^{(0)}|e^{\frac{iE_k^{(0)}t}{\hbar}}##. If I can get this I belive all the exponential terms are not operators so I can pull them out of the braket term to give me ##H'_{bk}=\langle \psi_{b}^{(0)} | H' (t) | \psi_k^{(0)} \rangle## and and then I can just combine the exponentials to give me the Bohr angular frequency term.

I'm sure I am doing something small (or something big) wrong somewhere but I just can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2016 #2
    This is certainly one of the big wrong things - the exponential factor is part of the sum and is not a global factor, so you can't just multiply both sides by it.

4. Dec 6, 2016 #3
    Thanks, I see that now. Guess I'll be taking a look at it tomorrow and see if I can think of another way.

5. Dec 6, 2016 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Start with what the text says and take the scalar product. Also, remember that ##H'(t)## is an operator, so you can't move ##\psi_k^{(0)}## past it like you did on the RHS.

6. Dec 6, 2016 #5
    Thanks for the reply! I managed to figure it out. I was getting confused thinking ##e^{-iE_k^{(0)}t/\hbar}## was also an operator. When I get home I'll write out what I did to make sure it's correct.

Thanks again!

7. Dec 6, 2016 #6
    So I believe the solution is to just change the eigenfunctions to their ket representation and multiply through by ##\langle \psi_b^{(0)} |##

[itex]i \hbar \sum_k \dot{c}_k (t)\langle \psi_b^{(0)} | \psi_k^{(0)} \rangle e^{-\frac{iE_k^{(0)}t}{\hbar}}=\lambda \sum_kc_k(t)\langle \psi_b^{(0)} | H'(t)| \psi_k^{(0)} \rangle e^{-\frac{iE_k^{(0)}t}{\hbar}}[/itex]

Which reduces to

[itex]i \hbar \dot{c}_k (t) e^{-\frac{iE_b^{(0)}t}{\hbar}}=\lambda \sum_kc_k(t)H'_{ba} e^{-\frac{iE_k^{(0)}t}{\hbar}}[/itex]

then move the exponential over to the R.H.S and combine the terms for the Bohrn angular frequency to give what we want

[itex] \dot{c}_k (t) =(i\hbar)^{-1}\lambda \sum_kH'_{bk} e^{-i\omega_{ba}t}c_k(t)[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted